FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a lighting pattern...

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
How to make a lighting pattern...
on Apr 14, 2007 at 2:06:24 am

I remember reading an article in a video magazine (forget which one) that stated one can make their own patterns for a light to display on the background wall by using some type of black felt material and cutting holes or slits into it for the desired pattern.

Is this true and able to be done? If so, does anyone know of any websites that shows patterns I can cut into my material?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
Re: How to make a lighting pattern...
on Apr 14, 2007 at 3:14:26 am

Go to the MATTHEW web site and check the pattern on their cookies.
http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=products&cat=55

You can buy a sheet of black foamboard from Walmart and cut the shapes yourself with an Exacto knife and use it like you see on their website.

Nino

http://www.EFPlighting.com

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
on Apr 14, 2007 at 4:17:26 am

That's a good suggestion.... just be careful. Foamcore is of course flammable and furthermore it being black it will soak up heat like a sponge... so just make sure it is not too close to the lighting instrument.

Traditionally old-fashioned "cookies" are make out of wood... and the big ones are darn heavy. With ones made out of foam core (or alternately, black showcard or matte board) you are going to save a lot of weight. You can probably hold one up with a lightweight stand and a single grip clamp.... as opposed to a full-size C-stand and a sandbag that a traditional cookie would require.

Todd

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 16, 2007 at 12:32:23 am

Interestingly enough, I am redesigning the lighting for a CBS studio that I had originally set-up 4 years ago. As I am want to do -- especially then, when I was heavy into my "Arts & Crafts" phase -- there were dozens of black foamcore flags (toppers, siders, and full box snoots) affixed to the 2000watt units, along with a few textural cuks cutouts. No one ever replaced any over the years, and the studio was active 18 hours a day. As the electricians were knocking down the current light hang I marvelled at how long the foamcore lasted -- and never once did they have an issue. They were however VERRRYYYY dried out and some showed signs of slight melting.

|DS

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:47:42 pm

Yikes..... OSHA, anyone?

I wouldn't mind using a foamcore cookie or snoot or flag or cutter or whatever on a temporary set that was lit for one day or one scene or one show... but I don't think I would use any for a permanent installation like that unless I was using Kinos or something that gave off no heat. It's a miracle there wasn't a fire there... and as luck usually has it, it would probably have been at the moment the stage was clear of crew on a break, giving it time to get good and raging in the ceiling before anyone noticed.

Just my two cents,
Alex

Return to posts index

HowDoYouDoThat
on May 2, 2007 at 1:05:15 am

Just my 10 cents.

I would use Foamcore just for the reason that it is flamable.

If your using source 4's get some tin and create your own, or buy them premade.

If your using say an ARRI 300 Fresnel, what I do is use heavy duty blackwrap. Then using an exacto or sharp leatherman, I cut my own patterns. You'll have to make it big enough (about the size of a quartered full gel sheet) to fit on the barn doors away from the element. If you add color make sure to put the color in fromnt of the blackwrap pattern. Putting the blackwrap in front of gel makes the blackwrap get way to hot and can fade the gel.

I have been doing this for years. Saves money, is quick, and best of all you'll have patterns no-one else does.

Think safety!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:07:33 pm

Foamcore is great, especially for slashes and similar simple shapes.

But for complicated patterns you may still prefer either the Chimera window pattern kit or a Source 4.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 26, 2007 at 1:51:29 am

You've never seen any of my foamcore stained glass window breakups then! :-)

Return to posts index

Niki Mathew
on Sep 25, 2008 at 10:53:17 am

ProDesign offers a flexible approach in providing lighting solutions from straightforward consultancy to the management of event logistics.
-------------
Nikimathew
Internet marketing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]