FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ring light?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AlexHuber69
Ring light?
on Apr 10, 2007 at 10:40:36 pm

Anyone here ever used a "ring light" -- the kind that go around the lens? I've used the for still photography but never seen them used for cinematography (although I'm new to cine). Is there such a thing?

Thanks, Alex

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
Re: Ring light?...yup
on Apr 10, 2007 at 11:13:30 pm

Yup... I have one and I use it relatively frequently.

Ours however is completely homemade... basically out of an aluminum cake pan and all the electronic bits that it needs to work. We made one ourselves because the "real" ones were 1) quite hard to find and 2) incredibly expensive.

We have color-corrected tubes for both daylight and tungsten... and did the necessary electronic voodoo to make it both flicker-free and dimmable (at least down to about 50%).

It's not real pretty, but looks like this....

It's pretty useful indoors at about 12 feet or less, just as a bit of a beauty light or eyelight. It gives a really nice look, except I quickly learned not to try to use it with talent wearing eyeglasses... the circular reflections it creates are pretty creepy. With EXTREME closeups you can also see the reflections in bare eyeballs, but it's usually not an issue.

Todd

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
Wow
on Apr 13, 2007 at 7:30:19 pm

Looks great man. Considering the LED-based one from Lite Panels costs three thousand bucks I'm betting you came in a lot cheaper than that.

Are you building these?? If not, might contact you off board if you don't mind to get some tips for do-it-yourselfers.

Alex

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Wow
on Apr 14, 2007 at 12:34:38 pm

[AlexHuber69] "Are you building these?? If not, might contact you off board if you don't mind to get some tips for do-it-yourselfers."

ditto.

Good COW article?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

David Amphlett
Re: Ring light?
on Jul 2, 2008 at 4:49:46 pm

Gekko Technology make three sizes

kisslite the flagship product
lenslite
and george

and yes I'm biased as I'm the MD

lots in rental in the UK used widely on promos, docos and high end drama. Just coming into the States

regards

David

http://www.gekkotechnology.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]