FORUMS: list search recent posts

outfitting a high school film program

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Supak
outfitting a high school film program
on Apr 8, 2007 at 3:08:40 am

Hi there.
My film students have access to a few lights, and we have about $2k- $3k to acquire some more.

Currently, we own a few Mole-Richardson lights (2 minis, 3 babies, 1 junior).
A few Lowell lights (3 Totas, 2 Omnis)
And a few Smith-Vectors (3 open-face quartz lights, 300W range)
We also have stands for all of these, and we have about 8 extra heavy duty light stands and plenty of C-stands. We have two flex-fills (black/silver) and barn doors for everything, and two shiny boards.

There are many students, and I'd like to facilitate 4 productions at once, doing location, indie film-style work.
They are in our program for several years, so they'll develop some expertise. I'm not a DP, but I frequently invite guest DPs to help with that instruction.
I kind of want to avoid more heavy gear and try to get a bit more lightweight and less hot of lamps.

We shoot on miniDV.
What would be your advice?

Return to posts index

HowDoYouDoThat
Re: outfitting a high school film program
on May 2, 2007 at 1:33:00 am

Teach them to use flexfills and Whitecards!

Teach the value of looking at natrual light and ways to use it. It will help them out in the long run. They will learn how to use time of day and sun angles!

Of course when they need light you have it.

One thing I would by, is a good assortment of correction gels and diffusion. 32 to 56k. ETc. And of course the white foam core.

Congrats for doing what you do. I consult at my kids High School Video Classes! I love doing it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]