FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic question about honeycomb grids

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Becquiot
Basic question about honeycomb grids
on Mar 31, 2007 at 7:43:23 pm

I have not had a chance to use grids on the productions we have done, but could someone tell me how effective it will be at keeping light off a backdrop, as opposed to flags. And, is there any issues in using them on keylights as well.

I am of course assuming that it is a matter of preference, but if someone could weight in I would appreciate it.

I would like to rent a couple to add to our softboxes for our next shoot before we think about purchase.

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Basic question about honeycomb grids
on Apr 1, 2007 at 12:46:01 am

Vincent,

Honeycombs and folding grids are very valuable and functional accessories for Chimeras of all sizes. Both come in various "degree" designations indicating how directional or wide the controlled spead is.

The honeycombs are quite fragile and heavy in the large sizes, requiring a wooden box to protect them and sometimes even an additional stand for support so they don't sag. These units are therefore especially appropriate for productions where you have large trucks and crew.

My preferance is the collapsible type which attach by velcro to the front of the Chimera, and yes they are very useful in controlling the spill off of walls, etc. and making the light source more directional. I use them in key lites, fill lites and backlites for that purpose when I seek a more contrasty or low-key look.

Chimeras and these types of accessories are very elegent solutions to minimizing or eliminating extra stands from the set that would otherwise be used to hold diffussion and flags. When they first came out the grips hated them, thinking that they would infringe on their traditional domain in setting flags and diffussion, but like all good things, they are now almost universally appreciated.

JS

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Apr 1, 2007 at 4:35:51 am

Thanks John. I appreciate the input.

Vince

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
on Apr 2, 2007 at 3:22:47 am

The fabric grid is definetly easier to use, easier to store and less expensive, the honeycomp is heavier and more delicate but it will give you much better control of your light. A small Chimera will handle the weight of the honeycomb

See some comparison at http://efplighting.com/?ENG%2FEFP_Lights:Soft_Boxes

Nino

http://www.EFPlighting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]