FORUMS: list search recent posts

lighting diagrams online?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
lighting diagrams online?
on Mar 27, 2007 at 8:24:38 pm

I have been looking on the Internet, without success, for a website which publishes lighting plans -- actual diagrams of the set, with descriptions and positions of the lighting instruments -- for tv spots and feature films. Does anyone know of such a resource, or do the lighting DP's keep that information to themselves? Often when I look at a well-photographed film, I wonder "how'd they do that?" A friend who went to the AFI many years ago showed me his own notebook, full of lighting plans, but I have never seen them online.

Alternatively, what is a good book with that kind of information?

Thanks!

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Nino Giannotti
Re: lighting diagrams online?
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:11:46 am

Bob, I made many diagrams on EFPlighting.com, I also wrote this in the section of "Lighting skills equal success"

"Although you will see many lighting diagrams throughout this web site, lighting by the number is a good way to get started but relying on diagrams is not the best way to acquire lighting skills, you have to see what lighting does. Look at the light from different angles, how does it shape subjects or objects, not only artificial light but even most important the natural light. Learn how the sun behaves, the times of day when you can get the most pleasing light and how you can apply all this to your business.

Until you develop you own skills, look, learn and try to duplicate what others have done. Next time you go to a movie look at the lighting, try to guess what type of light the lighting director used, the direction of the light, the shadows created by the light. What was the director trying to tell with lights, was it a specific time of day? A dramatic effect or what else."

Nino Giannotti
http://www.EFPlighting.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:45:57 am

Your website is a real contribution, Nino. Thank you again for putting that together.

btw, I found one lighting diagram, of the set-up for a scene from "The Perfect Storm." Very instructive too.

re: your remarks. For me, feature film lighting is, to my regret, something that I probably won't get to do. So learning by "really" doing is out. All I can do is emulate their techniques in a very minor way. I do in fact already study the lighting in features. DVDs are great for this. But whenever I have had the privilege of seeing an actual feature being shot, I've learned something new. Hence my interest in looking for lighting diagrams from films I've seen and admired.

-- BC

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Vincent Becquiot
on Mar 30, 2007 at 3:26:14 am

I will second that, anyone who takes to time to put that amount of quality work together for everyone to share deserves a big applause. Looking forward to even more ;-)

Vince

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Apr 3, 2007 at 9:55:20 pm

Bob, also check out American Cinematographer. They don't always have plots, but the feature film story of the month generally has an in depth discussion with the DP regarding set-up, placement and odd solves for problems.

Check out back issues - perhaps the local library system has them in house. I've found the AC montly mag to be a great aid in research and that many of the issues I face are the same as many location features face.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

"Design is a process by which you create something for a client who has no idea of what they want until they see your design - then they know what they want, but your design isn't it."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]