FORUMS: list search recent posts

outdoor lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KashKash
outdoor lighting
on Mar 10, 2007 at 1:00:09 pm

Hey everyone!!!

We'll be doing some single subject bits for a commercial next week...outoors and during the day... I was wondering if anyone could help us with some outdoor shooting technique especially with HMIs. There will be alot of dynamics involved (Jib and track etc) and we'll be shooting in HD

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kash

zippun and sappultu

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: outdoor lighting
on Mar 10, 2007 at 5:58:41 pm

Kash,

Perhaps I'm way offbase, but the tone of your question indicates to me that you're not that familiar with the complexities of shooting high-end day exteriors. If this is the case, I'd recommend that you hire an experienced gaffer and his crew. The fact is that controlling the sun (with overhead sets), then building up key lighting of sufficient intensity and quality with large HMI units requires a lot of gear, a lot of crew and a lot of experience. At the least you'll require a generator and cable and distro suitable for the large lights involved. In addition you must scout the locations in order to anticipate the direction of the sunlight and its arc through the hours you'll be shooting.

I hope this helps!

JS

Return to posts index

HowDoYouDoThat
Re: outdoor lighting
on May 2, 2007 at 1:10:34 am

If what John says is out of your budget.

Then another alternative is to find an area in diffuse light, not direct sun. Then you can fill instead having do what John said which is right way. BUt there are way to many variables without know about the project.

How big is the set? How many Talent? What time of day? What is the exposure. facing E, W, N, S. Whats the background? What medium are you using, where is it airing? etc.

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]