FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cukaloris' When Using Fluorescent Lighting...

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
Cukaloris' When Using Fluorescent Lighting...
on Mar 7, 2007 at 11:18:29 pm

Hi, I shoot mostly medical videos and when I can, I shut off the fluorescents and use my own lighting...but when it's not practical to do that, how do you soften white fluorescent lit walls? I tried using my lights with blue gels and a cookie, but it just gets lost. Perhaps one of those HMI's I've reading about on this forum are the answer. Thanks for any direction.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Cukaloris' When Using Fluorescent Lighting...
on Mar 8, 2007 at 12:02:24 am

What are "your" lights?

DS

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Mar 9, 2007 at 2:35:37 pm

I kind of have a mixed bag of lights, but mostly Lowell. 2 Rifa lights, DP, Fresnel 300, 2 Totas and 2 Peppers, 100/200. Probably time to increase my arsenal. Thanks

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 8, 2007 at 5:17:48 am

Jeffrey,

The most elegent solution to supplementing available fluorescent lighting is to "poison" a 4' Kino Flo instrument with the same globes as are in the ceiling and bring the light in from a conventional floor mounted position; then selectively turning off some of the globes directly overhead (to eliminate the overexposed nose and deep set eye look). White balance and go!

JS

Return to posts index

cow
Jeffrey Gould
on Mar 9, 2007 at 2:38:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, I rented a kino once and the bulbs didn't match what was in the dr's office and it was a nightmare. I do think that your solution is a viable one and that a Kino or equivelant should be my next purchase.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Mar 10, 2007 at 8:58:58 pm

I think what John is saying is that you can purchase a Kino fixture, and replace the fluorescent bulbs that would normally be used (daylight or tungsten) with bulbs that are used in the office you are videotaping. In other words, you eliminate color-balance issues by white-balancing on the same fluorescent bulbs are being used in the overheads. This is accomplished by making friends with someone in the maintenance dept., and borrowing some bulbs. Make sense? It works.

Also Jeffrey, you can spice up the boring backrounds in these offices by purchasing an inexpensive ellipsoidal fixture that can project a pattern onto the walls. Source 4/ETC makes some nice units that are reasonably light weight and simple to set up. I use a Source 4 Jr. Zoom that is part of my everyday arsenal.

Ken

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Mar 11, 2007 at 12:14:43 am

Thanks Ken. I understood what John was saying, just on this particular location...I could not match the lights they used with what came in the Kino Kit and every other 2x4 panel had different color temp lights. I like your idea of the projector and will check it out. Appreciate the feedback.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]