FORUMS: list search recent posts

night time scene lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david freedman
night time scene lighting
on Nov 6, 2006 at 10:19:33 pm

Need to light an night scene where car is broken down, towtruck approaches to help car- interaction with both drivers.....blah blah...I am somewhat limited in $$ and gear, i can get hmi's for that "cool blue night"look, plan on lighting the scene balanced to tungston so the background will go blue..didn't know how many lights/grip to factor in..i was thinking of bouncing a couple of 1200's into a 12x griff to key (with cto) and use 1 hmi for the "moon light" on a mombo stand...Any thoughts? How much spread do you think i can get with the bounce? should i try something more direct (12x silk) as to not lose the punch of the hmi's? I think i have 3 1200's at my disposal- perhaps some 575's...and grip stuff... tungsten and kino's...shooting with sdx. We need a wide shot for establishing, but will punch in for cu's..You know the deal.....
THanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: night time scene lighting
on Nov 7, 2006 at 4:09:46 pm

Dave,

If wide master is bigger than you can afford to light, shoot it at magic hour at 3200K balance; the headlights and caution lights will indicate night and with the use of your HMI's you can easily recreate the ambient color for the closer shots which you'll make in full night.

Another very usefull took is a helium baloon light; by judicious placement you can do everything with the one light a several little lights on the ground. Airstar is one brand, there are others I believe.

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Nov 7, 2006 at 10:12:00 pm

Shoot at dusk. Get your HMI's high (25-0") - a always prefer putting my stands in a Genie lift. A 2.5kw HMI stippled PAR with some diffusion would service you better. If you can get a HMI balloon light, do so.
Your best friends will be several 750 watt, 50 degree, Source 4 lekos on rolling stands. Use GAM spring branch patterns and blue gell to enhance the exterior look.

DS

Return to posts index

david freedman
on Nov 10, 2006 at 6:45:54 pm

OK thanks for the help, i have at my disposal: 3 1200 hmipar 2575 and tungston/grip. i was leaning towards using ther 1200's for the nighttime blue effect, and tungsten bouce or thru frame for key..I can get the 1200's up high using mombo's..should i blast them thru a 4x 216 for spread, or do you think i'd loos too much...Also worried about element reflections on the vehicles... UUGGHH

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Nov 13, 2006 at 2:34:49 am

If it makes you feel better "blast" all three thru the silk.
If there are reflections adjust the lights accordingly.
Stop worrying....it's just another school play.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]