FORUMS: list search recent posts

need to get ipod commercial silhouette look

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton MacDonald
need to get ipod commercial silhouette look
on Oct 25, 2006 at 4:09:40 pm

hello all

i need to get a clean silhouette against a background that can be keyed out, or against a white background .the two options seem to be:

1- subject in shadow in front of floodlight greenscreen. turn down iris to get slightly blown out look to get rid of extra details: hairs etc.

2- subject behind white screen and backlit, so that their shadow is projected. this seems like the better method although trickier for lighting. again, iris is down so silhouette line is cleaner, whites whiter, blacks blacker, etc.

any tips or comments?

thanks

Clayton

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: need to get ipod commercial silhouette look
on Oct 26, 2006 at 8:51:32 pm

Just guessing that the ipod commercials are shot greenscreen. There is some shadow detail occasionally which would not be possible with your #2 shadow technique.

I read somewhere that they are also heavily rotoscoped for the detail of the ipod headset cord -- and if they do that, they may be refining lots of other details as well.

Do it and let us know what worked.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Clayton MacDonald
on Oct 29, 2006 at 6:57:16 pm

hi Bob

we've completed the test shoot using a green screen lit with kino flo fluorescents, 2 sets of 4. as it turns out, all of the silhouette work is being done using the keylight plug-in in after effects. we've shot it in DVCPROHD 720p, key everything out in HD, then deliver SD. so far it looks great and green screen is the way to go for sure - the silhouette is achieved completely is post. keylight rocks!

i've been checking out the ipod commercials more closely and there is alot of rotoscoping/digital matte painting, especially in the "sparks" commercial.

ciao for now

Clayton

Return to posts index

Walter Graff
on Nov 17, 2006 at 6:26:24 am

You don't need anyting fancy to make the same type of spot. Shoot greenscreen wtih a DV camera or an Hd camera. Format matters little. Then in post select matte output when you key the shot. That will give you a black and white inmage. Then downstream key any color you want in the peroson or the backgrond. That is the basis for how it was done in the real thing. I show how to do such an effect in my latest DVD "Greenscreen for Idiots".

Return to posts index

Clayton MacDonald
on Nov 17, 2006 at 5:48:28 pm

thanks for the post...

we used DVCPROHD format, shot against a greenscreen, lit with kinoflo fluorescent banks, keyed out with the keylight plug-in for after effects...

it turned out looking great!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 10, 2006 at 4:09:46 pm

Some of the ipod spots were shot on HDCAM SR 4:4:4,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]