FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting a warehouse?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm Man
Lighting a warehouse?
on Oct 18, 2006 at 4:31:16 am

Hi!

I'm about to take on a fairly large "dog obedience Training" video. We're renting a large warehouse (40' X 70' maybe larger) in which to shoot. Among other things, I'm going to be building a set, rigging it for sound, and lighting the warehouse. Essentially getting the building completely ready for shooting.

Unfortunately I have very little experience lighting large areas. I'm assuming the warehouse will be furnished with large florescent flood lights. I'm guessing that these are not going to work. I have a bout a $3000 budget as far as lights go (I know, it's not enough). As I said, it

Return to posts index

dan brockett
Re: Lighting a warehouse?
on Oct 18, 2006 at 5:29:02 am

Hi:

Most warehouses are a sound nightmare. Are you shooting sync sound?

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Malcolm Man
on Oct 18, 2006 at 1:22:06 pm

Hey dan.

Well, I'm no so concerned about the audio. Most of it will be added later with voice overs. I will be doing some interviews in the warhouse, but I'll also be building a small booth for that complete with sound absorbs and the like.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

dan brockett
on Oct 18, 2006 at 2:19:34 pm

Hi Malcom:

Okay, good. Sound is not an issue. Based upon what you say, your solution is simple. You hire a DP, gaffer and grip and you bring in a 3 ton or 5 ton grip and lighting truck. If I were to light this for you, assuming you have one big set and not more than one set, I would be using a minimum of 10-15 fairly large instruments. Forget trying to buy lights to make this work, you are correct, $3,000.00 would not so it. But for $3,000.00, you can hire a professional crew.

I would try to find a gaffer or DP that owns his own truck, you can make some very good package deals, especially if the guy is hungry. I did a shoot at Disneyland yesterday. I was planning on bringing my own grip and lighting, which is all small stuff. When I showed up, our contact at Disneyland had ordered their 3 ton grip and lighting truck. They had all of the right tools (HMIs, 8x8, 4x4 floppies, etc.) that I don't own. Nothing like having the right tools to do the job, it worked out so much better than if I had tried to make my stuff work.

All the best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Malcolm Man
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:44:18 pm

Thanks for the advice Dan. I'lll look into it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:58:26 am

Lights hanging from chicken wire? I'm scared just reading that thought.

Get yourself a good gaffer and an electrician.
Rent two 6'-0" Helium 1.2kw HMI balloon lights to fill the space with a soft even illumination.
Rent a few 1.2HMI Fresnels on rolling Hi-boys to use as movable key lights.
Shoot your show.

DS

Return to posts index

Malcolm Man
on Oct 19, 2006 at 4:18:25 am

heh heh...yeah the chiken wire is a bit sketchy.

Anyway, thanks for the very specific advice I'll check those lights out.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:53:43 pm

If you can use tungsen light sources consider using space lights which are lights in a fixture (size and shape of a oil barrel) and can have multiple lights installed 1k to 6k worth.
Hang them from a grid or ceiling.

Space light are great for lighting green screen sets or a large background when you need a soft even illumination. But they can also be used to light a broad open spaced area.

In anycase you need to consider renting a generator and a cable package for your power needs.

Highly advisable to hire an experienced gaffer and crew along with the gear.

What city is the shoot going to take place. I may be able to offer you some referrals.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Oct 20, 2006 at 2:24:01 am

Unfortunately the space lights will require rigging, while the Helium balloon will ascend to whatever height you want "by itself". In addition, you'll be able to plug the very bright 1.2kw HMI helium balloon into existing house power edison receptacles, while the space lights will consume more power than the HMI source -- and for less efficient output.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]