FORUMS: list search recent posts

Television lighting effect...How-To

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gees
Television lighting effect...How-To
by
on Oct 11, 2006 at 1:20:00 pm

Hello All...Does any one know how to create a television lighting effect. For example...a subject sitting on the living room sofa watching television (Wide Shot) and the reflection of the televison light is illuminating the room. Any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Television lighting effect...How-To
on Oct 11, 2006 at 1:25:45 pm

I've done this sucessfully with a three channel "Magic Gadget" 2k dimmer box with built in chase and three small peppers aimed into a piece of white diffussion. Also TV's cast a daylight color so gel appropriately!

JS

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Oct 12, 2006 at 7:29:49 am

Or you can use a 9" b&w portable CRT tv with the brightness/contrast munged up and just about any off air signal...

During my real means real period, I shot a spot with people on a couch and/or Barcolounger watching "the game." TV efx light was 3 - nine inch Emerson b&w/am/fm/tv sets on an apple box, tuned to the same local station...about f2.8 on a BVP90/BetaSP w/ a f1.2 Canon 14x - camera set 12' and source tv's about 4' back from talent.

I've also used the "Magic Gadget" and the GAM Flickermaster and they both work well...and it's easier to carry around one of those in your kit vs. the three tv sets - I just like to point out alternatives...

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

tom
by
on Oct 12, 2006 at 12:05:33 pm

My old instructor in college had us do this. His instructions are very usefull to this day.
Turn on the tv in a room at night, don't watch the tv, watch the room ,the walls and so on. what do you see. what colors and paterns bounce off the walls ? this is the effect you must recreate with your lights. Don
t be afraid to experiment

I'v used a small 150 and hand held small blue and green gels slowly intechanging them with each other.

Return to posts index

walter Graff
on Oct 15, 2006 at 2:07:49 pm

THis effect has more to do with good audio than anything else. A simple blue gel on a dimmer works well visually, as does flicker boxes, and an assortment of other techniques but it's the sound that makes it work, that tinny TV sound that says hey he's watching TV. .

http://www.bluesky-web.com/gone.mov

Return to posts index

Malcolm Man
on Oct 18, 2006 at 4:29:12 am

Normal studio light and a blue gel? worked fine for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]