FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dimmer for Practicals

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill @ UGA
Dimmer for Practicals
on Sep 11, 2006 at 5:09:04 pm

I have used a combination of low-wattage incandescent bulbs and "home built" dimmers to handle practicals in a set-up. The problem is that I keep breaking my plastic dimmers. Where can I find a good source for a "real" dimmer to use on practicals while on location? Sticking ND in lampshades is getting old.

Thanks... -- Bill

Bill

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Dimmer for Practicals
on Sep 11, 2006 at 5:28:59 pm

There's a company called "Magic Gadgets" that makes a real cool line of pro dimmers. I own one of their three channel 2K dimmers that has all kinds of chase and flikker effects in it as well.

JS

Return to posts index

dan brockett
on Sep 12, 2006 at 2:34:19 pm

Hi guys:

Not sure of your definition of "pro" but I have two of the Mole Richardson 1,000 watt dimmers and they are good at about $110.00 ea. I recently purchased half a dozen of these router speed controllers from Harbor Freight for $12.00 ea. These router speed controllers are actually 1,500 watt dimmers and work better than the Mole Richardson "Pro" dimmers.

I am cheap and love a good bargain, these Harbor Freight dimmers are rated a best buy in my book.

Try one, they are cheap enough to try without much risk
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=router+speed+co...

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Sep 13, 2006 at 4:02:45 am

I'd be hard pressed to suggest an individual dimmer with a price to match Dan's suggestion, but companies who can provide very reliable, inexpensive, "professional" stage lighting dimmers include: DIVERSITRONICS, DOVE SYSTEMS, and LEPRECON.

ds

Return to posts index

Bill @ UGA
on Sep 29, 2006 at 7:11:59 pm

Dan,

I purchased two of those HF dimmers you suggested and they are perfect for my application. Thanks for the tip. I continue to be indebted to everyone on this site who has helped me in many ways with equipment and technique questions.

-- Bill

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]