FORUMS: list search recent posts

glasses reflection

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
glasses reflection
on Sep 1, 2006 at 5:17:59 pm

I'm a newbie, not a pro, but am wondering if you have some suggestions for preventing the lights reflecting in the lenses of an interviewee who wears glasses and doesn't want to take them off. Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: glasses reflection
on Sep 1, 2006 at 10:10:15 pm

This is a problem that dogs everyone! It comes down to the actual eyeglasses in question; some, noatble those I call "goggles" that are large and convex are almost impossible to keep the reflections out off, others are easier.

The methods to use are to move the light to the side (sometimes necessitating the addition of a fill light), move the light closer or alternately raising the camera (or all of the above).

Let's see what others suggest, I'm always looking for new tricks!

JS

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Sep 1, 2006 at 10:24:52 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips! I look forward to more, as well.
Ruby

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Sep 4, 2006 at 10:56:35 pm

Well I think John hit most of them, but I always ask if they "need" to wear them - you'd be surprised how often people will remove their glasses once I explain about reflections. I've also used the trick of raising the glasses' temples above their ears an inch or so - sometimes it's enough to change the angle & eliminate the reflections.

One other trick I haven't yet tried is to cut some wide strips of black tape and apply to your chimera-type source - this produces a window-frame-like reflection in the eyeglasses which supposedly looks more natural.

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Sep 5, 2006 at 5:16:01 pm

Thanks Ken. Yeah, I always ask if they'd be willing to take them off, and with this particular guy, he really wasn't comfortable and I thought it wd throw off the interview. But, thanks for the tips--I appreciate them!
Ruby

Return to posts index

SydneyS
on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:59:43 pm

Something that really works is, I ask them to tilt the lens down as much as possible, while making sure it doesn't look out of place... This, when combined with proper light placement, really helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]