FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kino Flo eggcrate and flozier puzzles

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Kino Flo eggcrate and flozier puzzles
on Aug 8, 2006 at 3:48:45 pm

I'm enjoying using a Diva-400, but I have a couple of questions. Since I'm a novice with this fixture, I hesitate to quibble... okay, I'll quibble anyway.

I can't figure out the rigging of the flozier. To be honest, I didn't try very hard once I realized how much it cost in terms of light output. I noticed that Kino sells a Half-flozier. Even that is probably too much. Is there a source of fabric somewhere so that I could make my own out of 1/4" gridcloth?

The eggcrate is highly reflective. What's the point of that, in an eggcrate that is supposed to increase directionality? Or is this a good idea? Can I simply take a can of black spray paint and change this to the right, black, color? Any ill effects from that? I was thinking about stove paint, even though the lights shouldn't be all that hot.

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Kino Flo eggcrate and flozier puzzles
on Aug 10, 2006 at 6:19:49 pm

Bob,

The Divas put out about twice the light of a conventional Kino Flo, that's why the factory diffussion is so heavy. That's not to say that you can't use other traditional diffussion, like Lee 216, 250, etc. I use 216 quite a bit on my conventional Kino Flos and it really smooths them out. You can either mount the gel on the eggcate which will cause the lamps to burn hot over time and change color, or on the doors for a much cooler thermal flow, but less directional quality.

The eggcrates on the regular KF's are black, I don't know why they're different on the Divas; I'm sure the concept is the same, to make the light a little more directional and to cut the spill. I'd be careful painting them unless you use High-Temp paint that you get from a theatrical lighting supply house, and be prepared to replace them after you find that you're not happy with the modification!

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]