FORUMS: list search recent posts

summer sun

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
summer sun
on Aug 5, 2006 at 1:03:40 am

I need to filter the blaring sun. I was hoping to just shoot an outdoor dramatic scene and interview by waiting for the magic hour but the timing has proven difficult. And the magic hour hasn

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: summer sun
on Aug 5, 2006 at 1:17:33 am

Unfortunately, what you are looking for does not lend itself to a one-man band. Anything large enough to cover more than a close up face shot requires a huge overhead frame and silk with very sturdy support. Any wind and you'll quickly discover some sailing lessons. These rigs take a lot of time to erect and require a good sized crew to man them.

There is a very simple solution to your problem, however. Just carefully choose your locations and time of day. Low sun falling on the subject's back will solve the squinting problem and give you a beautiful 3/4 backlight. Avoid shooting when the sun is high and overhead and don't shoot with the sun falling on the subject's face and in their eyes.

A small reflector can help you paint the face hotter on one side to add three dimensionally. If you can find a pure white one, a popup automobile sunshade will serve very well at very low cost.

Good shooting!

Leo

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 5, 2006 at 3:50:27 am

Thanks Leo,
I did not occur to me to use the sun as a backlight rather than the key light. I

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 5, 2006 at 5:07:15 pm

Thanks Leo,
I did not occur to me to use the sun as a backlight rather than the key light. I

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 5, 2006 at 3:25:49 pm

All the variable you describe are working against you and the results will show it.

Try making the job easier and consider shooting your subject on a chroma key backdrop and shoot the sun plate later. Combine the two together later in post.

Some of the most effective sunset shots in movies are either chroma key effect shots or huge backdrops shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]