FORUMS: list search recent posts

what color floor?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
what color floor?
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:51:48 am

Hi,
I am a video production teacher at a high school. I will be taking over the auto mechanics garage to set up a "studio." It is currently a large (good) concrete (bad) oily (very bad) mess. I

Return to posts index

Wayne Orr
Re: what color floor?
on Jun 30, 2006 at 8:22:48 pm

I am no expert on what type of tile is best for your purposes, but I am not sure you are on the right path with the PVC tiles. You say they are "absorbent," but that is not necessarily a good thing when you are dollying a large camera on a pedestal, or, a small camera on a large dolly. (Want to see a great studio floor for dolly moves? Go to your nearest up-scale automobile showroom)

Color-wise, your best bet is to go with a nuetral color, such as an off-white. Remember that colors will bounce off a tile floor, so anything other than a nuetral shade will give you some weird flesh tones. For example: Did you ever see a close-up of a basketball player at the foul line, about to shoot a free throw, and notice his face is a sickly sort of yellow? He's getting bounce from the lights hitting the color of the key area in his face.

The standard tile size for studio floors is three foot square. They need to be butted together very tightly to provide a smooth surface for dolly moves. Of course, this depends on how evenly the concrete has been poured. When they created the new studios at CBS Television City a number of years ago, they actually used lazers to ensure the poured floors were as smooth and level as possible. In fact, I would recommend you contact CBS in Hollywood and ask them what tile they use in their studios. Ask for "building services" as a good place to start. CBS has always had a helpful attitude towards scholastic institutions, and I would be surprised if they were not very helpful.

HTH
Wayne Orr, SOC

G5, Dual 2GHz, 1.5 GB Ram, OSX 10.4.6, FCP5.1, AJA Io, SATA External Array 500 Gig

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jun 30, 2006 at 11:52:52 pm

Thanks Wayne. I will certainly contact CBS. However, I'm a little confused by some of your points. The tiles are sound absorbent and shock absorbent -- why would this be bad? The seams are very tight and they are used often on car showroom floors, garages, warehouses, even stages and sets (according to their website).

Obviously I don

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jul 1, 2006 at 4:39:10 pm

I would hold off on the floor for a little bit.

First off, how big is the space?
What other things would you have room for in this teaching/learning lab?
Maybe divide the space into a nice size studio, and a control room/edit area.
In the studio area you might lay black tiles, but as Wayne said, they will hinder your truck & dolly performance if they are soft or spongy.
Then in a corner you might build a white cyc area.
A Green screen wall would be fun as well.

By producing class videos and such with DVD sales to parents, funds can be raised to buy more gear and such.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 1, 2006 at 6:40:51 pm

Thanks David,

I am certainly still in the research stage. Ordering in a school system is always time consuming. I don

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 2, 2006 at 4:09:08 pm

Do not get a black color floor.

In the event the tiles are glossy or contain reflective coating you will have to deal with lighting reflections.

White is more ideal and can provide bounce fill in lighting as well to increase the overall base lighting level.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 2, 2006 at 9:21:40 pm

Thanks Tony

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jul 10, 2006 at 5:05:45 pm

Eyecamiam,
Dennis (of course) is correct on the color.
DON'T get white - nice bounce, but you can't control it and it would be difficult to get nice single 'model' lighting with all the bounce.
No black either.
Like Dennis said-Grey or Tan.
Both of our Studios are a tan'ish -gray color.
Also, you do not want a glossy finish to the floor, it will bounce just as bad as a white color would. It will add all kinds of wierd reflections. We always have to have a special meeting before we get our floors cleaned. One time the cleaners had to come back out and 'scuff-up' the floor because they buffed it too much!

As a side note, I'm not sure it's going to be worth the effort to 'buy' a floor. It sounds like a lot of money and since the floor is not going to be prepped perfectly, then you're going to have an uneven floor anyway. But the uneven floors only really become a problem with you try to truck/dolly while your camera is 'live' Probably something that wouldn't happen a lot anyway. You might want to look into painting the floors with some of that heavy acoustic paint. I believe it's what's painted on our floors. With the correct combination of prepping, amount of coats, and your finish-you'd probably end up with something close to what you want. And it would be a lot cheaper and easier-plus you could maintain it for next to nothing.

FWIW.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 17, 2006 at 8:43:51 pm

Thanks everyone,

There now is talk of getting me a better space with possibly smooth concrete floors. That would certainly help the installation. Paint could be a cheaper alternative though awfully rough on legs and dropped equipment over the course of the year. I

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jul 2, 2006 at 11:43:50 pm

[eyecamiam] "I thought I

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jul 3, 2006 at 6:28:12 pm

[Dennis Size] "GOOD COLORS = gray or tan

BAD COLORS = white and black"

I have worked in many different studios, with many different floor colors, from blue tile to maple hard wood.
Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

The major reason I suggested Black as the tile color was because this is a High School with many pairs of feet wearing different types of street shoes,
scuffing their way across the floor.

I can just hear the custodian as he mumbles... Damn kids can pick up their own feet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]