FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable scrims

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
2000lux
Portable scrims
on Jun 1, 2006 at 12:28:52 am

I'm thinking about getting a portable scrim kit that I can easily take on a plane, and perhaps might even fit in to my suitcase to avoid excess baggage charges. Mathews has a kit called Road Rags and Wesctcott has a similar one called Fast Flags. Does any one have any experience and opinions on either kit? Any other suggestions? I hear Avenger offers some thing similar but I haven't found it yet. I'm mainly considering the 18" x 24" kits. Obviously they'd be more compact. Should I really be looking at the 24" x 36" ones? Right now I'm just thinking about using them for interviews but I'm sure I'd find a lot of other uses for them. Thanks!

~A bad day in television is better than a good day in a cubicle.

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Portable scrims
on Jun 6, 2006 at 11:41:59 pm

I recently purchased a Lastolite frame (from B & H), that is 42" X 42" and constructed of aluminum with shock cords connecting the four pieces. It's light and simple, and only cost $42. Of course, you need to provide your own diffusion, but Lastolite also sells that too, if you want. It's the "small" size - they make some larger ones as well. You'll also need to buy a grip head for mounting purposes.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 6, 2006 at 11:46:53 pm

Ken,

I'd also advise anyone using this type of grip equipment to also buy liability insurance, for despite your best efforts to secure, weigh down and even tie up such devices, eventually one will fly away and damage person or property. A proper commercial liability policy will protect you and your assets in such a case, as well as allow you to rent such equipment if you need to.

Regards,

John Sharaf

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jul 10, 2006 at 5:15:53 pm

If you haven't purchase them yet, I would recommend getting the larger frames. 24"x36"
I have both Matthews Road Rages and love them. I don't need to have any ridged frames anymore-but I don't do large size shoots either.
I've had some trouble using the smaller frame on location. I usually need a little bigger foot print for my diffusion area.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]