FORUMS: list search recent posts

Altman - good enough?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spiro
Altman - good enough?
on Mar 23, 2006 at 9:41:10 pm

OK, I'm looking to purchase my first light kit, to be used mainly for one & two person interviews. I've searched these threads through and through. Everyone seems to be a fan of Arri. No one seems to like Lowel.

I had been considering the Arri Softbank D1, but I really don't have $2K to spend on lights. So, now I've got my eye on Altman - the Foto Pac Tunsten 3-Light Kit or the Swing Pac Tungsten 3-Light Kit. Thing is, I can't kind much on Altman within these threads.

Would you guys recommend one of these kits from Altman if I'm wanting to spend around $1300???

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Altman - good enough?
on Mar 23, 2006 at 10:49:33 pm

Altman makes a good product.

I've used Altman fixtures off and on...it's always been a matter of cost or availibility for the project - some studios and facilities also in the budget mode bought them as a less expensive alternative to the Century units. Sometimes you just use what comes with the box you're in or the truck that's sent to you.

Historically, Altman has compeated with Century, Kleigl, Ianiero, Times Square and Colortran, primarily in the area of theatrical light - just recently they've been producing "portable" fixtures for television. The Altmans' structural quality compares well with the Arri fixtures - neither are as robust as a Mole unit.

The choice of kits is really dependent on what your needs are - do you need two equal wattage lights or do you need a mix of wattages? The Jr. Softlight is adaquate for some set ups and it has an eggcrate as an accessory which will help in the control- a soft box on a larger wattage fixture would be a better choice, again a cost issue.

- but for a first kit, it works.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:50:11 am

Thanks a lot for the feedback Frank. The more research I've done, the more comfortable I've become with the Altman kits. They seem to be a decent middle ground between Arri and Lowel. And without a doubt the price fits my budget perfectly (although I'm sure my wife would vote for the $800 Lowel kit!).

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Mar 25, 2006 at 3:03:52 pm

Are there any negative opinions of Altman's out there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]