FORUMS: list search recent posts

online lamp store?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mortimer heathcliff
online lamp store?
on Mar 2, 2006 at 1:31:02 am

howdy,

first time here, glad to you're all here! i need to get some replacement lamps for my Lowel lights, and wonder if you guys have a favorite, fast and affordable online supplier.

thanks for helping out a bonehead,

jtn

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: online lamp store?
on Mar 2, 2006 at 2:41:48 am

Mort,

These guys are the bomb:

http://www.multi-lite.com/

Best prices I've found.

JS

Return to posts index

rich rosen
on Mar 2, 2006 at 3:37:48 pm

John:

My 12 year old daughter has made me stop saying "the bomb" because it is no longer cool. Just a heads-up.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 2, 2006 at 8:17:59 pm

[rich rosen] "stop saying "the bomb" because it is no longer cool."

Mainly at airports, railroad stations, and container ports.

More-experienced shooters, a related question: for the run of typical lamps that we use in our Peppers, small fresnels, and 1K or less open faces: are there lamp manufacturers that you avoid?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Mar 2, 2006 at 10:19:52 pm

I had a brief run of bad globes from Ushio in 2003. Supplier (4Wall) noted some other users also had issues and accepted them back, re-shipped Osram/Sylvania.

I've orderd Ushio since then and have had no issues - their rep assured me the globes I'd gotten in 2003 had problems with the borosillicate base they made the glass from and they since changed vendors.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Walter Graff
on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:35:30 pm

It seem over the years that many different Ushio lamps have had problems. Anyone notice this?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
How many back-ups?
on Mar 7, 2006 at 1:33:53 pm

Maybe..[Walter Graff] "t seem over the years that many different Ushio lamps have had problems. Anyone notice this?"

I think I had one bad run a while ago, and I think they were Ushio, but I've had many Ushio since that were fine. But I think "bad runs" must be common, because the lamp supplier agreed with no argument to replace them all.

Related question: that one "bad lot" of bulbs still is in the back of my mind whenever I shoot out of town, so I take 3-4 replacement bulbs for every fixture, usually not needing any. I don't want to pack any fewer, but I'm just curious: how many replacement bulbs (tungsten/fluorescent/HMI) do most people pack for, say, a three-day shoot?

The biggest danger to my bulbs has been people who invert a lit fixture or knock into a light.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: How many back-ups?
on Mar 7, 2006 at 4:17:18 pm

I usually keep a hard case (ex pro-makeup case with tiered drawers - think upscale tackle box) on a job site with four of each type:

FEV - 150w
FKW - 300w
DYS - 600w
FAD - 650w
FRK - 650w
EGT - 1000w
DXW - 1000w
FCH - 1000w
FHM - 1000w frosted
CYX - 2000w
FEY - 2000w

I had the case available so it worked - I wouldn't go with a case that has a lot of divided space - the case I use has six 2"x12"x8" drawers-no partitions.

The worst case scenario for me was losing three FAD's and five FHM's on one shoot - combination of wind, rain and sfx.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Mitch Gross
Re: How many back-ups?
on Mar 11, 2006 at 7:17:12 am

I find that the smaller the bulb (lower the wattage), the flimsier and more prone to filiament breaking in transport or with a jostle. Anyone who owns Lowel Pro lights should have scads of spare bulbs around - they pop way too easily.

My worst day for bulbs was when I had a string of Inkies running off a small un-regulated generator and the helpful PA plugged an old magnetic ballasted 1200w HMI inline. I saw the colors of the rainbow from the HMI for a brief moment and then a rather brilliant paprazzi effect as all those Inkies blew.

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]