FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting w/ Softboxes in Smaller Shoots

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pseudojag
Lighting w/ Softboxes in Smaller Shoots
on Feb 14, 2006 at 12:07:02 am

Howdy Cowpokes,

Can anyone point me to information sources which center around lighting with Softboxes for video?

Can Softboxes be the centerpiece in a lighting setup?

My situation is that the shoot is a small one and (this is only a presumption on my part) maybe a Softbox would facilitate things with tighter setup times and where the crew is smaller

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Lighting w/ Softboxes in Smaller Shoots
on Feb 14, 2006 at 4:58:22 pm

I use softs all the time for interview and product shots. The only problem I have in very small rooms is spill from a too wide source which can be overcome with egg crate grids or flags and cutters - or even a flag made of "blackwrap"- a black annodized aluminum foil.

Three point lighting isn't etched in stone. Often I use just the softbox as the only "source", placing it 30deg. off center so I get a darker side of the interview. Occasionally, if the shot needs separation I'll hit it with a 150-300w. fresnel if I don't have a natural source in the room like a table lamp or window.

Alternatively, pointing that 300w. fresnel to the wall with a wash/slash/poof/glow/(insert your favorite look here) works if you don't want a backlight or don't have the room for separation. You can also use color gel on the light to accent the room or the person.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]