FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lowell DV Creator Kit 44 or 55

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cadge31
Lowell DV Creator Kit 44 or 55
on Feb 7, 2006 at 4:42:28 pm

Hi all,

I am a documentary filmmaker. I do a lot of talking-head interviews, and I am interested in buying a Lowell DV Creator Kit. We used them at Fitchburg State College in Massachusetts, and they were great. I am torn between the DV Creator Kit 44 and the DV Creator Kit 55. The only difference is a smaller Rifa light. Is the extra 200 Dollars worth the bigger Rifa? I already own another 750 watt tota with an umbrella. Any suggestions? I am looking to spend no more than $1,200.00 (I am fresh out of college and still poor). Thanks

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Lowell DV Creator Kit 44 or 55
on Feb 7, 2006 at 11:41:14 pm

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Lowell kits- too fragile for long term use. With proper care they are good "starter" kits, assuming you'll trade up as your career progresses.

Having said that - the larger the aperture the better when it comes to soft sources - you'll be able to wrap the light around the subject OR be able to light a larger subject/product without an increase in wattage (heat as well) or having to move closer to the subject.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 8, 2006 at 5:46:52 pm

In defense of Lowel, sort of... I still use my very ancient Lowel D and Lowel Tota-lights, inside Chimeras. I especially like the Tota-lights as they are so easy to pack. Chimera's speed-ring for the Tota-light has its own good tilt mechanism, which is the most vulnerable "working part."

So if I had a Tota-light I'd buy a video Chimera and speed-ring for it. I'd spend any more money on a good fluorescent fixture for a host of reasons,and it probably would not be a Rifa or a Caselite.

Return to posts index

Ralph Keyser
on Feb 9, 2006 at 8:26:45 pm

On the flip side, the Lowell stuff is lighter weight and smaller than just about anything else out there. You pay for that in a lack of robustness, but if it's a small crew type of shoot, I'd consider that a good trade.

As for the Rifa, I'd go for the larger one. Between changing lamps and moving the source, you can get a larger one to behave like a smaller one, but the reverse is not true.

Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]