FORUMS: list search recent posts

What lights are best for photomontage captures?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
What lights are best for photomontage captures?
on Feb 3, 2006 at 6:13:16 am

I have been dong photomontages for several years using two 60 watt incadescent bulbs directed down from a stand on to the photos and using a Sony PD100 mounted on the stand to capture the images with zooms etc. Lately I have noticed a tendency toward a red hue on many of the face shots and I have to color correct in my MX-50 mixer or later in my NLE system (Media 100).

I am wodering if I switched to another light source if the problem with red would be lessened or eliminated,

Any comments would be appreciated,

thanks, Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

blueriver
Re: What lights are best for photomontage captures?
on Feb 3, 2006 at 5:16:18 pm

Maybe I'm missing something but... isn't it easier to scan the images so you can do nice motion effects inside your NLE? Or if you can't scan them, use a digital camera?

Keith

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Feb 3, 2006 at 5:25:47 pm

First, try replacing the lamps. Tungsten filliments tend to turn red as they age.

Second, look into a more specific spectral lamp - there are quartz lamps made for photowork that are a true 3200k vs. a household lamp rated at 2700k. You can also use a Phillips 60w. Cool Halogena lamp rated at a constant 2900k - those are availible at places like Home Depot.

Conversely, you could also use a fluorescent lamp rated for flickerfree digital use-check out photo supply stores or on-line. You'll have to re-balance the camera for color temp, then again, you really should do that when you re-lamp anyway.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Feb 7, 2006 at 6:27:31 am

Thanks Frank,

I went to HomeDepot and bought the Phillips Halogena 50 watt indoor/outdoor flood lights with the long neck. they are really bright. I had to set the shutter at 250 to deal with that. They seem to be too much of a spot light, even though they are a flood. When I put an 8X10 under the set up the light is really focused instead of spreading. I think I will take them back and try something else.
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Feb 7, 2006 at 4:51:42 pm

Thanks for the info re: Halogena lamps - I wasn't aware they spotted that much since the last globe I used of the type was a general purpose flood and had a relatively omnidirectional output.

You might check with a photo store in your area for specific copystand photolamps- additionally you can diffuse and, if applicable to your rig, back off the lamps to lower the output.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]