FORUMS: list search recent posts

claire obscure - student question

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nils palmen
claire obscure - student question
on Jan 25, 2006 at 10:15:38 pm

hi,

i'm really no expert in ligthing/technical names so it would be nice to keep the answer straight and simple please :)

i want to shoot a minimalistic scene of a person on a chair behind a table with a computer and a book on it. i want to create the effect that light comes from top form a single glow-lamp and perhaps 1 lamp on the table to lighten up the book more - also light comes from the computer in small amounts. (the glowlamp will be shot alone and later on pasted into the shot - this is only seen at the beginning and the end of the scene at estableshing-shot and end-shot) my question is - what are the things to look out for filing this clair obscure/film noire style:

1. should i shoot this in a big room or place so no walls will have lighting or shadows on them (i want to have the subject come out of the dark into the light - don't want to work with shadows on the walls like film noire)

2. is it best to keep the diafragma close and the light up or the other way arround? or film everything light and bright and tweak in after effects (?)

3. i want to have a straight but very soft lighting - diffus ... what is best way not to have light spread to al sides and still have a THIN BORDER BETWEEN THE LIGHT AND THE DARK?

a movie that i like very much by lighting is the movie 'Darkness' by the director Jaume Balaguer

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: claire obscure - student question
on Jan 31, 2006 at 4:48:34 pm

Nils,

It sounds like you want a soft pool of light in your "action area" and the rest of the room dark. If this is the case, you might consider a lantern or chimera "pancake" and use "skirts" to cotrol the spill off the walls. Unless the room/set is large, you still might have to resort to draping the walls with black cloth to maintain the "limbo" look.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]