FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interviewed in front of window - need correction advice

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DiCanio
Interviewed in front of window - need correction advice
on Jan 24, 2006 at 12:33:27 am

Don't ask why I did this. I shot an interview in front of a window, and it looked nice when I shot it. Here's the situation. I used a softbox for the key, and exposed it very nicely - warm. The blinds behind the interviewee have that nice blue color temp from the outside light. The problem is that the background is just a bit too distracting because it's just a bit too bright. I've tried using the title designer in Adobe Premiere Pro, and that does help quite a bit, and you actually cannot tell I'm placing some square titles in the background just over the interviewees shoulders - especially when messing with the opacity.

I'm not an expert in keying, and have done some experimenting. Does anyone have any advice, or even a program I could purchase to fix my problem. I think what actually happened was the sun got brighter as the interview went on, and nice soft blue light in the background increased. A lesson learned. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Interviewed in front of window - need correction advice
on Jan 24, 2006 at 6:49:09 pm

David, you may want to post this on whatever post-production forum is most relevant to you (depending on which software or NLE you or your suppliers use). Good luck.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

David DiCanio
on Jan 24, 2006 at 11:22:11 pm

Thanks -

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on Jan 29, 2006 at 2:55:44 am

Try building an equivinelt to an ND grad, or a gadient in photoshop or in the titler, then you could luma key it in over the brightest areas. If you wanted to take it a step further you could created soft edged alpha channel mask in the area the talent is if it is a static interview and the person is not moving much. That might get you an easy fix.

Otherwise in the future you might try getting neutral density gels and covering the windows .6 or .9 will bring the windows down 2 or 3 F-stops respectively and help with the great amount of overexposure you can get in the "windowed background" situation. You can also get ND .6 with full CTO to correct the for 2 F-stops, and the blue daylight coming form the exterior to match the tungsten of your Softbox, unless you are using daylight balanced HMI lighting with your softbox.

Try your local grip or lighting vendor for the gels they come in large rolls for about $125.

Hope that helps,
Anthony Miles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]