FORUMS: list search recent posts

lowel lights ?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arty
lowel lights ?
by
on Jan 20, 2006 at 12:56:04 am

so after doing my search and research on creative cow...amongst you the lighting experts...
am i to surmise that no one here has a good thing to say about lowel lights and video production ?

my production team is looking to buy a good but affordable light kit...
we do commercial and other various video projects...and the lowel lights seemed to be the way we were leaning...

until of course....i started reading some of these posts...

but please advise

thanks so much

Return to posts index

Mitch Gross
Re: lowel lights ?
on Jan 20, 2006 at 3:07:10 am

Lowel lights are fine, but they are limited. They do not have particularly large units and they are not very versatile. They are generally open-faced (unlensed) lights that are good for bouncing off umbrellas, walls or white cards, or for pointing at specific spots with a bit of diffusion on them. Far more controllable is a fresnel-lensed light, which are units offered from companies such as Arri, Mole-Richardson and others. Lowel does have one fresnel light, but it is nothing to write home about.

Lowel lights are also a bit finiky and delicate. They are great for the private owner who will deal with them personally (read: gently) and they are physically quite small and light which is very convenient. But they certainly are not the end-all be-all lights and something like an Arri light kit would be more useful. Of course it is also much bigger, heavier and much more expensive.

I don't want to completely criticise Lowel lights. I personally own seven of them (4 Pros, 2 Vs and a Rifa55), but I also know their limitations.

Btw, Lowel is based in Brooklyn, NY, and they will repair their gear for FREE if you drop it off or mail it in to them. I think they do charge sometimes for certain replacement parts, but I've beaten my stuff to hell & back over the years and have taken gear over there a few times and gotten everything back better than new (model improvements over time) and have never been charged a cent.

Mitch

Return to posts index

arty
by
on Jan 20, 2006 at 1:26:14 pm

thanks very much for the advise !

i appreciate it

Return to posts index

Bill @ UGA
on Feb 13, 2006 at 5:25:03 pm

Arty, I have been using Lowel lights for over 20 years, and for my application they are great. I am almost always a "one man" operation, so lightweight instruments are important to me. Also, if they break, I'm the guy who broke 'em...you won't find them in many rental houses because they won't stand up to much abuse. And next to many other instruments, they're cheaper to buy and I've never paid for a repair. All of the above makes a pretty good deal for my work.

I use the DP (500w), the Riffa light box (750w), the Pro Lights (250w) and the Lowel fresnel (650w) most often.

I do have K5600 and Mole products, and they are wonderful. But they are also heavy and expensive.

How you use your equipment should be an important factor in what instruments you need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]