FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing between Flood and Spot LitePanels

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Baldwin
Choosing between Flood and Spot LitePanels
on Jan 11, 2006 at 4:00:52 pm

Hello again and thanks for everyone's feedback on the road rags...a helpful dicussion for me.

I'm looking at purchasing a single Lite Panel (LED Panel) and I wanted to know if anyone has used them and could let me know of a few things.

I'm trying to decide between the flood and the spot. I'm going to use this light for three main reasons.

1.) an obi light over camera or articulated left or right for some added molding.

2.) a scratch or backlight for interviews. (Didn't think this would work but I saw it done by a DP the other day and he was keying with a Kino Diva...remarkablly effective actually.

3.) for quick hidden light during Broll in tight quarters (like labs and small cubicals). I feel like the flood would be right but I just don't know for sure.

Any experience with them out there?

Thanks,

Chris Baldwin
Shoulder High Productions
Media of the World; For the World!
http://www.shoulderhigh.com
newsletters@shoulderhigh.com

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Choosing between Flood and Spot LitePanels
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:29:58 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm probably pretty qualified to answer this, as I traded in my Lite Panel "flood" for the "spot."
It's a little better, but still WAY underpowered compared to the Anton Bauer cam-mounted HMI.
Nice soft light - just not enough of it. And if you have to throw a gel in front of the (daylight balanced) Lite Panel to correct for Tungsten, well, you get the idea.
If I had to choose between the flood and the spot, I'd get the spot, as you can widen the beam a bit with the diffusion filter provided.
It's a nice little tool, but expensive, and very limited in what it can do.

Ken

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Choosing between Flood and Spot LitePanels
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:37:15 pm

Chris,

I'd recommend the flood; especially for on camera use and as a hidden light. I use mine all the time on camera and would worry that the spot pattern would be revealed in hand held applications. I've also used it in product photography where again the spot pattern would be too narrow.

Obviously if price were no object, I'd add a spot unit to the kit, but probably not until I added a second flood! JMHO.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]