FORUMS: list search recent posts

noise

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hanselblat
noise
on Jan 10, 2006 at 5:10:10 pm

Hi there,
I'm shooting a film in a studio with a canon xl1 and a panasonic dvx100a (as if that combination in itself doesn't present a problem) and I'm trying to create some really dramatic lighting with deep shadows and hard lights on the characters; what I can't get around is that in the areas that are not really dark shadows but not light areas either there's a lot of terrible noise (the gain switches in the cameras are off); I have the feeling that there is a way around this because I did some camerawork outside in hard sunlight and there were deep shadows, parts of the faces almost blown out, and every shade in between, but no noise. So I tried more light in the studio but when I wanted to get the dark shadows back in post there was the noise, stronger than ever? Does any one a solution.
Many thanks in advance!
Hans

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: noise
on Jan 11, 2006 at 4:54:58 pm

One of the inherent problems when shooting high contrast stuff with the DV format.

Return to posts index

hanselblat
on Jan 13, 2006 at 10:12:57 pm

is there no way around this?
Hans

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jan 14, 2006 at 2:49:17 pm

Adjust the contrast of your lighting to fit within the limitations of the cameras you are using.

Return to posts index

hanselblat
on Jan 15, 2006 at 10:13:49 pm

thanks for the advice, though it sounds somewhat depressing. Could you or anyone else tell me what the best way is to find out the limitations of these cameras, or cameras in general? Is there a standard way to test that in a camera?
Thanks for your cooperation.
Hans from Holland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]