FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I get started

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Demientieff
How do I get started
on Nov 7, 2005 at 7:18:44 pm

I would like to make my interviews look more professional. I have never used lighting before and would like to get started. I guess my main question is what should I purchase?
Thanks
Adam

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: How do I get started
on Nov 7, 2005 at 8:27:11 pm

A book or DVD on lighting instruction.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 8, 2005 at 6:46:37 pm

Do a search on this forum, including archives and all active posts, with the words "Interview lighting," and you will have a good start.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Adam Demientieff
on Nov 8, 2005 at 6:52:38 pm

Thanks for the help, I will do a search. Any sugestions on affordable lighting kits?
Adam

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 24, 2005 at 12:40:25 am

I take it that your emphasis is on inexpensive lighting kits. Good news: for interviews, you can do very well indeed with a relatively small outlay.

Key: a Chimera (could be "small" or even "extra-small") with an open face fixture, for which you'll also need a "speed ring" to go between the fixture and the Chimera;
Fill: a reflector (could be a piece of foamcore);
Background: a Source 4 Jr. to put a pattern on the background.

There are cheaper versions of the Chimera from other suppliers. The background light is important but it not absolutely necessary. eBay is a good source for a used Chimera/light fixture/speed ring, but make sure you get a "video" or "hot light" Chimera instead of the still-photography kind (which can't stand the heat and are designed for strobes).

Alternative for a key: a fluorescent.

Ultra-cheap key: open face fixtures with diffusion on the front. You can get a very cheap but durable Mole Nooklite on eBay periodically.

Ultra-ultra-cheap key: One of the "best-lit" interviews I ever shot was with a large window providing 100% of the lighting: a very soft, broad, natural look.

No matter what you buy, HOW you use it is much more important. I guarantee that some of the experts on this forum could light an interview better with a crappy light kit than the less-expert could with the most expensive light kit. Search the forum! volunteer to go on a shoot with a great local shooter!

Good luck, take pictures of your lighting setups so you can duplicate the good and avoid the bad, get on with it and start to play.

-- BC

Return to posts index

blueriver
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:30:38 am

What are you shooting? What's your budget? Are you shooting indoors or outdoors mostly? Are you shooting away from AC power? Do you have to contend with shooting inside while exterior windows are visible? How much of a hurry are you in when you're shooting? Is it always just a single person you're interviewing? Do you have an assistant with you on the shoots usually?

The more details you give these guys, the better their answers will be. As for me, I just lurk and learn.

Keith

Return to posts index

Mike Hennessey
on Nov 21, 2005 at 8:16:23 pm

Adam

Here is a link that might help you get started.

http://www.poweroflighting.com/

It

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]