FORUMS: list search recent posts

limited experience with lighting two people

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
limited experience with lighting two people
on Oct 23, 2005 at 2:47:50 am

Hi there. I have a Canon GL2 and a kit that has an Omni, Tota, Rifa and Pro light. I have pretty limited experience with lighting--mostly setting up lighting for one person at at time for interviews and narration.

I'm limited for an upcoming shoot (Monday!) to the kit I've described and I need to light two people, probably side by side, in a relatively small space and am wondering how best to do this with the kit I have (I'm clear it's not the right kit for two folks--but I'm stuck at the moment). I'm looking for advice on how to set up the lights to avoid casting shadows from one person on to the other, and general suggestions. Thanks!
Ruby

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: limited experience with lighting two people
on Oct 23, 2005 at 6:27:10 pm

I'm hardly the most experienced person on this forum, Ruby, but I've done that shot.

You should put the key light far enough away from both, so that one interviewee isn't over-exposed relative to the other. Put the darker-complected person closer to the key light.

The Rifa, with its built-in diffusion, might be a nice key. But is it bright enough to be backed up a bit and still be the key? If not, you may want to augment it with the other lights bounced into a white card or with diffusion (a clear shower curtain, as long as it doesn't catch fire, would work). You definitely should experiment before the shoot.

Good luck!

-- BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]