FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kino Qs

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Kino Qs
on Aug 30, 2005 at 6:27:20 pm

I have been following the discussions of fluorescent lighting, but am a long way from a showroom where I could see firsthand the various Kino's.

I'm specifically interested in the experiences you all have had with the weight of some units, and as well the "lay of the land" of the various Kino's.

I'm also interested in the Mole Biax 8 for its sheer daylight-balanced punch, Leo. But I really like to boom my lights, so the Kino's which feature a separate ballast are of interest. Is that a valid criterion or not? I've read about "self-ballast" tubes; do they make the whole ballast issue irrelevant?

I've looked for the Kino VE's -- are they to be distinguished from the FotoFlo line?

(I own and never use a Lowel Caselite with two tubes. It's just not bright enough.)

-- BC

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Kino Qs
on Sep 4, 2005 at 7:50:10 pm

Bob,

I guess it all depends on how hefty your boom stands are!

I use my 4' Fourbank Kinos on a Mathews Baby Boom Armn and Combi stand all the time. I ballast the whole affair with a sandbag on the stand and on the arm itself.

I suspect that the Mole Biax 8 would be a little too heavy for this rig, but could be flown other ways; perhaps with a more heavy duty "mennace arm" rig which Hollywood grips often make with speedrail or 2x4 lumber, rolling grip stands, ratchet straps, mounting hardware and sandbags. If you are in a "production" environment with all this gear at the quick, go for it, other wise consider the KF Baby Boom option.

Mole makes a "Comet" boom which might accomodate the weight, but it iself is a beast to transport and setup; I've seen these things "fly" when unballasted by removing the light on the end. Any of these solutions require care, skill and often two people's undivided attention; remember you're usually using a boom to dangle a heavy light above some unsuspecting persons' head!

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Getting Together
on Sep 5, 2005 at 5:54:24 am

JOHN:

I'm in L.A. relighting the ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW.
Have any time to get together for supper ....or even a drink while I'm in your "neck of the woods"?

Dennis

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Getting Together
on Sep 5, 2005 at 4:45:12 pm

Dennis,

What a treat!

Contact me off list at john@sharaf.net and let's do so.

JS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 5, 2005 at 11:35:20 pm

Hey Dennis, you're making me feel like the nerdy guy at the party that gets ignored when somebody more interesting shows up. You at least owe me your insights on Kino's :)

-- BC, "not a potted plant"

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 5, 2005 at 11:38:36 pm

Bob,

Don't feel bad, I haven't heard back from Dennis yet either!

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Sep 6, 2005 at 11:14:17 am

Sorry .....been working and flying to more work.
Don't take anything personally .....but my "dance card" has been WAAYYYY overbooked.

DS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Sep 6, 2005 at 11:12:30 am

Extolling the virtues of having KINO FLO instrumentation is a "no-brainer".

You can NOT go wrong owning a few KINO-FLO DIVA lights ...with a variety of color-balanced tubes. You'll use them all the time; and be glad you invested in a fixture with dimming capability.
I never do any location shoots without a few Diva 200's and 400's available for close-up shooting. I also routinely purchase them for permanent installations.

For a bit more "punch" the Kino PARA-BEAM is quite a fixture (but a little pricey).

DS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 6, 2005 at 11:48:21 am

Thanks Dennis. (I hope you realize I wasn't really miffed. I do miss your wisdom here though.)

So, the oblong shape of the fixture is not a problem, I guess.

-- Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]