FORUMS: list search recent posts

interior dawn lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cinquina
interior dawn lighting
on Aug 27, 2005 at 10:26:50 pm

The scene is set at sunrise. A businessman in a hotel room will be waking up and getting out of bed. My question is, what is the best way to light this shot? What setup will set the mood of an interior, dawn scene?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: interior dawn lighting
on Aug 28, 2005 at 2:07:28 am

Joe,

I don't know about your bedroom, but in mine, the sun comes streaking through the windows with a hard, warm, contrasty light in the morning! This could be recreated by a strong source from outside the window, gelled warm, and taking care to "tent" or otherwise control the real sun which will move during the time it'll take to shoot the scene. We'd probably use an HMI light as big as a 12K depending on the logistics of the shot, but in certain circumstances maybe an 800w or two would suffice.

The important thing is to actually observe the morning light you wish to emulate and note the quality, direction and color which gives its' unique character, then use the lighting tools at your disposal to recreate the effect.

JS

BTW, the etiquette for many reasons is not to double post these questions. Your query rightly belongs here in the Lighting Design Forum and you'll find that mostly the same people frequent this and the Cinematography pages.

Return to posts index

Joe Cinquina
on Aug 28, 2005 at 4:31:23 am

Thank you. I am sorry for the protocol violation. I just wasn't sure where it would be answered. The problem I have is that it will be shot on the 10th floor of a hotel in a room. This makes lighting from the outside impossible. I guess my main question was about the color and you answered that. I am very appreciative of your advice.

Thank You.

Joe

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 28, 2005 at 6:08:45 am

Joe,

Given the 10th floor situation, you might consider using a Source Four Leko to manufacture the appropriate window pattern with the choice of a gobo (pattern maker) that "matches" the actual window treatment in the room. Otherwise, some hotel rooms have small balconies from which you could squirt the artificial morning "sunlight".

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]