FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Kit...What are your thoughts?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Studlydan
Lighting Kit...What are your thoughts?
on Aug 23, 2005 at 6:59:12 pm

I recently stumbled upon a Britek lighting kit that is being sold for around a 1000 bucks. The specs on the kit are:

2: 650 Watt Focus Adjustable Fixtures
2: 24 x 24 Softboxes for 650 Watt Lights
2: 4 Leaf Barndoors for 650 Watt Lights
2: 1000 Watt Broadlights w/ Barndoors
2: 32 x 32 Softboxes for 1000 Watt Broad Lights
1: 300 Watt Focus Adjustable Fixture w/Barndoors
1: 18 x 18 Softbox for 300 Watt Focus Adjustable Fixture
3: 7

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Lighting Kit...What are your thoughts?
on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:14:44 pm

Same question posted in multiple forums - same reply as follows:

Britek has been around for some time as a producer of lighting equipment for flah photography - they made a fortune off the lil' gadget that works as a slave for photoflash units.

The quartz units have been around for a few years. They are not overly rugged, meaning I'd never suggest their use in a hardcore shooting envrionment - say, daily news. These light compare more to Smith-Victor and early Colortran units than current Mole and Arri fixtures. With proper care they should last a few years, certainly enough to recoup your investment.

Ushio is a lamp mfg. and they make a wide range of globes. I have bought 100w through 1000w lamps made by them and they've performed as well as lamps by GE, Sylvania/Osram, etc. In fact, I recieved Ushio lamps with my last Arri kit purchase - they are still operating with no discernable discoloration or fade.

As always, you get what you pay for...you may find that you don't have the range of accessories that work with Mole, Arri and other brand names, and they may not be as rugged or useful in all situations.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Lighting Kit...What are your thoughts?
on Aug 24, 2005 at 8:06:22 am

...and with leather gloves AND a roll of gaffer's tape!! (Make sure it's a FULL roll first.)
This bargain is NOT to be passed up.
The power cables may also prove useful, if they're not the 6 foot 18-2 ungrounded extension cords, that you can buy in closeout stores for 79 cents.

Good luck.

DS

Ushio is actually quite a "big" brand name in lamp manufacturing....and very reputable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]