FORUMS: list search recent posts

pop-up chroma key background

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
pop-up chroma key background
on Aug 12, 2005 at 1:37:01 am

I've been carting around a large canvas green screen, which is terrific if I need a very large background and have an hour or two to set it up. But it is cloth, so it has wrinkles and seams, and takes too long and too many light stands and clamps.

So I'm looking for one of those pop-up reversible green/blue screens. I've heard about the advantages of one or the other, so I wanted to pose it to the objective and knowledgeable members of this pasture.

Which is the best pop-up chromakey screen, and why? I'll need about a 6x7' size, and will be using it for Betacam and probably, at some point, for HDV.

Thanks!

-- BC

Return to posts index

Evolution
Re: pop-up chroma key background
on Aug 12, 2005 at 5:45:23 pm

I worked with a pop-up unit at my old shop and was very happy with it on head bites and tighter effects shots. Not sure which brand it was. It needed to either be hung from the cieling (could tie it to drop ceilings) or from C-Stands because while the frame stretched the fabric nicely, it couldn't support itself , even leaned against a wall. I've seen some on B&H that have a skirt attached to add some length or I guess to be able to do a full body, but I don't see that being too usefull. Even though most of the units are 5'x7', by the time you back it off for proper lighting and to eliminate bounce, you end up with a smaller workable background, not enough for any kind of full body. Not easy to fly with either. Even collapsed it didn't fit into any of my cases and wasn't allowed as carry on and had to be checked at the gate.
In all a great tool for the money, but it has it's limitations of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]