FORUMS: list search recent posts

designing a grid for a "studio"

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kaufman
designing a grid for a "studio"
on Jul 12, 2005 at 2:08:56 pm

Dear Group,

First, thanks for all the great advice on this list, the COW is a fantastic resource.

A friend is putting together an incredibly tiny space for shooting video, it's part of a business and they want the entire ligthing system to be as simple as possible (for instance, no lighting board, only on/off switches to control indidual lights).

The room dimensions are 14' x 17'. We're using the space's length to shoot, giving us the maximum distance between camera and subject (a person standing). On the rear wall behind the subject are three 42" plasma screens. Cameras are most likely SDX900's from Panasonic.

My thought was to place a Kino Parabeam 400 on the grid on camera left, and a Kino Parabeam 200 on the grid on the right. Then a smaller Kino unit for a soft backlight. All Kino's daylight balanced to help match the monitors.

Any thoughts as to what size the grid should be? How many pipes and what distance apart?

As to power, I was thinking 3 20amp circuits split into different recepticles in the ceiling.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

thanks!

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Leo Ticheli
Re: designing a grid for a "studio"
on Jul 12, 2005 at 2:15:39 pm

Forget the grid; you don't need one. Use a couple of roller stands to make adjustments fast and easy.

Drop one of the Kino Flos. Use one large Kino Flo as a key with diffusion on the doors to increase the size of the fixture's aperture, a small one, perhaps a Diva, as a kick, and use a fabric reflector such as a Flexfill for any fill that may be required.

I do worry about the very small space, very limiting.

Good shooting!

Leo
Director/Cinematographer
Southeast USA

Return to posts index

Thomas Kaufman
on Jul 12, 2005 at 2:23:17 pm

Leo, you're right as usual -- they don't need a grid and I've told them so, yet they want one...

They've also asked not to use floor stands, they want the lights fixed in position. I suggested we simply mount them to the ceiling, but again, they come back saying they want a grid.

Since I can't use a floor stand with a reflector, I thought I'd use the 200 as a fill light. Not optimum, but maybe good for what they want...

As to the fixtures, they're sometimes to be shooting thru a prompter screen and I thought the parabeams would give them enough level to do that without having the plasma screens in the background burn out.

So, given the above, what size grid do you think would work?

Many thanks

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
on Jul 12, 2005 at 3:48:52 pm

Golly, Tom!

I don't know what to suggest, other than asking them to find someone willing to tell them what they want to hear rather than honest advice.

I do have a grid, but really use it only for lighting large sets for program length stuff; I prefer to shoot off the floor.

Considering the very small space, just put the grid on, say 4' spacing and fill in with tube as required for exact positioning.

Best regards,
Leo

Director/Cinematographer
Southeast USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]