FORUMS: list search recent posts

rading my Hedlers for Kino Flo

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michele princigalli
rading my Hedlers for Kino Flo
on May 9, 2005 at 1:45:38 am

I am thinking about selling my Hedler lights with softboxes and substituting with Fluorescents. I light people mostly, and sometimes subjects have a hard time posing or acting in front of my lights. They are 2500w, 2500w, and 1000w. The big lights are hot, too warm, consume lots of energy, are too bright for many subjects to be comfortable. Also, they are 3200k so I can't mix with external lights. I've been playing with a small 150w fluorescent. It's not enough to illuminate a scene but when enough natural light comes in, it does a great job at enhancing some spors. I wass wandering if I could do all my woth on larger Fluorescents for subjects. I always use soft lights and I'd like to know if any could work from a battery.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: rading my Hedlers for Kino Flo
on May 9, 2005 at 2:52:50 am

Michelle,

I'm not familiar with Hedler lights, I don't think they're imported to Los Angeles, where there are already many brands of lighting in play, but I think you would be happy with the Kino Flo fluorescent products. Especially the large sourced units like the 4'Fourbank and the eight tubed units like the Image 80's. These lights are cool (very little heat), very efficient (1.2 amps at 120v per tube) and can easily be lamped with tungsten or daylight balanced tubes. Furthermore, the tubes themselves are long lasting and sheathed in a special material to control breakage if mishandled.

The Kino Flo designers are constantly improving the units and have expanded the line with specialty lights over time. I don't know if they are popular in Europe, but here in Hollywood they have become a standard which are always carried on motion picture and television productions and used when power is at a premuim, heat would be an issue or practicalities like small sets and/or low ceilings preclude conventional approaches.

You can check out their website at http://www.kinoflo.com

Return to posts index

michele princigalli
Re: rading my Hedlers for Kino Flo
on May 9, 2005 at 3:13:46 am

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely give them a try. I hope I can find some Kino Flo for rent. Hedler are excellent for what they do, at least the new ones I have, but I haven't tried many others. Kino Flo is definitely interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]