FORUMS: list search recent posts

FINALLY!!! My Lights Are coming to Market. Share your thoughts.....>>>Photo Inside<<<

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Munkittrick
FINALLY!!! My Lights Are coming to Market. Share your thoughts.....>>>Photo Inside<<<
on May 6, 2005 at 6:59:19 am

And we finally come full circle. I started talking about the promise and potential of fluorescent lighting design here at the Creative COW over two years ago. Since then, I

Return to posts index

Ken Plotin
Re: FINALLY!!! My Lights Are coming to Market. Share your thoughts.....>>>Photo Inside<<<
on May 8, 2005 at 5:17:05 pm

Michael,
Congratulations! Looks like a great unit.
Couple of quick questions:
-What is the expected price?
-Dimensions w/o bulbs? I'm trying to figure out how many of these I could fit into some of my existing cases.
- Also, how much weight would be saved using #14 instead of #12 cable(they are only 220w)?

Again, congratulations on your design and your tenacity.

Ken

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
Re: FINALLY!!! My Lights Are coming to Market. Share your thoughts.....>>>Photo Inside<<<
on May 9, 2005 at 6:56:08 pm

Ken,
Thanks for the congratulations. As it stands today, and assuming that the design doesn

Return to posts index

Ken Plotin
on May 10, 2005 at 2:42:14 am

Mike,
Yes please send me a literature pack when available.
8x8x2 is really compact, even adding the length of the yoke and 5/8" mount! I presume the intensifiers fold up or break apart for storage in the light case? Personally, I'd buy the single switch model and drop the output with a bit of extra diffusion.
It would be great if there was a way to drop a gel behind the intensifier (or maybe there is).

I gotta have 'em in Candy Apple red!

Ken

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on May 10, 2005 at 11:50:36 am

Way ahead of you there. We do have a built-in gel frame for the intensifier, but thus far we've not been able to get the exacting quality that we expect from the mount so it's being redesigned as separate frame that can be attached when needed.

Literature will be printed in about 45 days and is set to go out within a week of the day it's received, but we're still working on the website and contact routes at present. There's nothing worse than needing help or having questions and talking to a damned computer. I want to make sure that this is done right the first time.

And as I said in the last email, the four switch model works to control other piggy-backed units from one head. If you link 30 of these together, you can shut off entire banks of them with a single switch simply by plugging them in through the appropriate connection. The single units are proving to be pretty versatile too, but the multi-link lights are going to be a big bonus for people who prefer to not carry a lighting grid and fade controllers to location shoots. We're getting some Osram dimming controllers in within the week for testing and assuming that they work as expected, we'll ship the second run of the single switch models with an external dimmable control. That control will only add a small amount to the cost but will add a great deal of function to those who are used to dimmable lights.

Aside from that, life is going forward. The budget is in decent shape and we're still under the figure that I set for development...so I might add a few more useful tools before we go to market. I have to watch the demand and the consumer's interest over the next few months.

Thanks for your interest.

Michael Munkittrick
Managing Creative Director
Evolve Media Solutions

Forum COWmunity leader for:
Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 9, 2005 at 9:49:57 pm

Michael,

I'm trying to relate the light output of your lights to that of a Mole biax or Kino Flo Parabeam. I'm looking for a fluorescent that can handle the famous talking-head-with-window-background shot.

I don't know how to translate your spec's. The KinoFlo ParaBeam 400 Studioline 32, with the same wattage, is rated as 1669 lux at 8 feet. Is your unit that much brighter?

The bulb design is intriguing, but I'm wondering why you chose it, aside from compactness. It appears that the inside part of the spiral is producing light which is wasted -- shielded by the coils that are closer to the outside of the fixture.

"Enlighten" us further please?

-- BC

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on May 10, 2005 at 1:40:15 am

In an effort to simplify, and more to the point clarify the intensity of these lights, I should add that the lamps aren

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on May 13, 2005 at 6:18:46 am

Michael,

What is your email address?

Will you have the option for a clip on egg crates for the units to help in directing the light source.

Thanks,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Teemu Niskanen
on May 14, 2005 at 9:05:48 am

Your desing looks A LOT like ALZO Cool-lite.
http://sell-it-on-the-net.com/online_store/alzo_600_cool_lite_kits.htm
Is this the "potential competitor"? And you both have a patent pending?

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on May 14, 2005 at 3:49:10 pm

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I've sent the link to my representative to follow-up. I'd prefer not to speculate about the exact process or products of a competitor, but siffice it to say that we've come to market with very similar ideas at almost the same time (Personally, I find the photos uncanny). Considering that our US Patent was applied for quite some time ago, I'd suspect that this question will work itself out.

Outside of that, I was encouraged not to speak. If you'd email me outside of the forum, I would appreciate it as I have a few questions.

munkittrick[at]hotmail.com

Thanks,

Michael Munkittrick
Managing Creative Director
Evolve Media Solutions

Forum COWmunity leader for:
Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]