FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newsroom shot

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Herrin
Newsroom shot
on Apr 7, 2005 at 9:34:08 pm

I am going to be shooting a promo with our anchors and will be shooting in our newsroom. Anyone have any tips on how light something like that. Our news room is typical of any office, lots of white walls and florecent lights. The action will be the anchors walking thru doing anchor stuff. I would like the lighting to be somewhat dramatic and not flat. I am guessing that I should three-point the areas that will have most of the action and highlight the background where needed. Should I not use the overheads? I know that I will need a boatload of lights to pull this off. Thanks for the advice.
Kevin

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Newsroom shot
on Apr 11, 2005 at 3:45:47 am

Hey Kevin,

You sound like you're on the right track. I'd use soft light on their faces, and try to make their faces slightly brighter than anything else in the frame. You said they would be walking thru the newsroom, doing "anchor stuff." Not sure what you mean, but if they're walking and talking, you might want to consider a dolly shot to follow the action. Maybe you could set a soft key on your dolly - to one side or the other. I'd use the existing overheads. And of course if the lighting in the foreground is brighter, the white walls in the backround won't stand out so brightly. And I'd try to get a lot of action/movement behind them to make it look like a "working newsroom." Your job is to showcase the talent - make the lighting as flattering as possible - but not too dramatic as most tv lighting isn't real "high key." You will need a bunch of lights to do it right. You might want to consider doing some testing with stand-ins before you actually shoot with the anchors just to get everything dialed in.

Good luck,

Ken

Return to posts index

Kevin Herrin
Re: Newsroom shot
on Apr 11, 2005 at 6:49:08 pm

Ken thanks for the input. I think your suggestions are right on track with what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks again
Kevin

Return to posts index

mark volzer
Different Take
on Apr 15, 2005 at 6:40:09 pm

Don't make it look like news footage use some dramatic lighting. Make your promo look different from what viewers see on the news. DON'T USE CLASSIC THREE POINT LIGHTING. Don't make it look like a horror movie, but do something different. I just shot some anchor stuff. I used a softlight gel orange as the backlight and too lowel totas bounced off silver brellas off to either side of the anchor basically at a 90 degree angle from the cam. I looks great and totally different from ordinary news footage. The totas light their face nicely and the soft back light separates them from the background.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]