FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preserving Metadata after importing to Media Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ean Carlson
Preserving Metadata after importing to Media Composer
on May 18, 2020 at 5:39:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to attach metadata to files but I'm having trouble preserving the information when these files are imported into avid. I'm currently opening the master files in Adobe Bridge, adding metadata there, but when I bring the media into avid none of the metadata info (Reel, tape, anything added in bridge) is preserved. Is there any way I can add metadata info to mater files that will transfer over to avid media?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Preserving Metadata after importing to Media Composer
on May 19, 2020 at 1:47:01 pm

Avid will read some metadata (Tape for example) out of MXF wrapper if the encoding was properly done when creating MXF OPatom file. This would be similar to a dailies workflow. Any metadata beyond that is done via an ALE merge process into those files once available in Media Composer.

Is Adobe Bridge making a sidecar file or embedding? Also, note that Media Composer has never supported embedded REEL from MOV etc. when AMA linking.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ean Carlson
on May 19, 2020 at 2:23:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Michael,

Generally, my work flow is to make OPatom proxies in Resolve and them bring them into Avid as this allows me to have control over reel names and other important metadata. In this case, the files I'm working with are very small and I can edit in full res.

In the research I've done I've seen ALE files (?) mentioned but I've never worked with them before. Also, it does look like Adobe Bridge creates a sidecar file that's only visible in adobe CC programs and applications such as MediaInfo. I guess my question at this point boils down to whether or not it's possible to embed metadata in a video file and have it carry over into Avid.

I appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 19, 2020 at 2:34:00 pm

The only way to get all metadata into a file is to create an embedded AAF file which I believe only Avid products do. Even Resolve using Avid's SDK to create MXF OPatom native media only puts in REEL which becomes TAPE in Media Composer, but all other metadata like scene, take, comments, etc. are lost. Resolve does export an ALE file that can be merged into the master clips.

In your case, the XMP sidecar file is only seen by applications that support XMP as a sidecar file. So all of Adobe CC for starters. Something to try is opening those clips in Premiere Pro and exporting an ALE file. Some text editing may be needed, but let us know if you get can far and we can discuss ALE tricks.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ean Carlson
on May 19, 2020 at 3:12:15 pm

Ok so I was able to export an ALE out of premiere, bring the ALE into Avid and then I did a batch reimport to link the ALE to the original video. If I go into that ALE file can I add in my own metadata so that it corresponds to the metadata columns in Avid?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 19, 2020 at 8:39:11 pm

Yes.

Although it is a bit dated and hasn't been updated since June 2013, the information is still valid for you to create new custom columns are Avid columns that you might want to map to.

https://www.avid.com/de/~/media/avid/files/hero-products-pdf/media-composer...

Michael

Return to posts index

Ean Carlson
on May 19, 2020 at 9:00:33 pm

This is great! Regarding ALE creation... are there templates or programs that correctly format ALE files for Avid? I've been searching for resources all day and there isn't much that I've found so far. Also when creating an ALE in Excel or TextWrangler is there a way to export as a .ale? I feel like the process must be more complex than just changing the extension at the finder level. Thanks again for all your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]