FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer and built in effects

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Dewey
Media Composer and built in effects
on May 2, 2020 at 9:52:22 pm

Howdy folks,

Last year I started learning Media Composer. I believe Media Composer has actually made me a better editor with Final Cut Pro X (just because for me, it introduced concepts which can be applied to other NLEs), but here’s a (stupid?) question. How often in professional settings are the built in effects used? For editing, Media Composer is top tier, for color it seems most people send their sequences to Resolve or another color grading software (or built in 3rd party), but what about effects? Besides the occasional blur or other basic effects here and there, do Media Composer editors find value in the built in effects, or do they rely more on 3rd party plugins, and never really use the built in effects?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Composer and built in effects
on May 3, 2020 at 6:15:23 am

Well, I use a handful often. I us the Paint Effect for a wide variety of things...Blurs, highlights, light flashes...custom transitions, vignettes (blur and darkened edges or both). I use the Animatte quite frequently. 3D Warp ALL THE TIME. Spectra-matte for green screens. Reformat because I deal with a lot of archival.

But the yes, I do lean on BCC or Sapphire or both for the bulk of the fancy things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Sapione
Re: Media Composer and built in effects
on May 7, 2020 at 6:27:01 am

Hi guys,
If i can piggyback off the topic. Ive been using Avid for nearly 20 years.... most for my projects are multicam. I do basic effects, and at one time was doing more elaborate effects for a promo house...buts my effects knowledge has diminished.
But now with Covid and the new reality - getting calls for lot more effect based editing ....especially with multiple cell phone shots.... people want a lot of PIP, Split screens etc. I came across FxFactory site and WOW! They have a ton of very cool templates that seem pretty easy to use. Problem for me - its all for FCP X. https://fxfactory.com/info/splitscreenpro/

Its disheartening.... i like to stay all Avid, but these effect templates - they are amazing. I know BCC and Sapphire, Avid Fx, are Avid goto effect plugins.....but unless im missing something they don't have the ease of use that FxFactory templates provide.... (maybe im wrong. i hope). Is there anything comparable to the FxFactory site....Another plus - each template is affordable..... im not looking to spend $1800 for software im only going to use a 10% of.....

Lastly.. Anyone know where i can easily create a video wall effect like this using Avid ?
https://fxfactory.com/info/videowalls/

Thanks for any insights and your time
JIm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]