FORUMS: list search recent posts

What does "Use Avid Codecs" do in the Same as Source export?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Juig
What does "Use Avid Codecs" do in the Same as Source export?
on Apr 25, 2020 at 7:27:11 pm

Hello,

so far when I was exporting from Avid I always left the "Use Avid Codecs" unchecked.

I checked whether there is any difference if I do check the box "Use Avid Codecs" in terms of quality, but couldn't find any difference, even when I brought it back to Media Composer and compared the Y waveforms.

In the official manual it says: "Deselect the Use Avid Codecs suboption when you are working in a cooperative environment where one or more non-Avid systems also have access to the media. This option is selected by default. If you export DV media from a 24p or 23.976 project using Same as Source, you must use the Avid DV Codec to ensure the QuickTime movies retain all of the progressive information. If you do not use the Avid DV Codec, Media Composer treats movies as interlaced sources when you re-import them."

I'm assuming that when using HD codecs like DNxHD 185x it doesn't matter whether the mentioned box is ticket or not and the option only applies to DV Codecs? Or does the option "Use Avid Codecs" produce different result when it is ticked and I've been exporting my files in a wrong way?

Best regards

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: What does "Use Avid Codecs" do in the Same as Source export?
on Apr 26, 2020 at 7:28:40 am

That is correct. The Avid DV codec swapped the field order to resolve the issue in PAL. In non DV projects it makes no difference.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
Re: What does "Use Avid Codecs" do in the Same as Source export?
on Apr 26, 2020 at 10:44:04 am

Great, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]