FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Incompatible

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Bodossian
Quicktime Incompatible
on Apr 16, 2020 at 11:04:00 am

Hello,

Just tried opening a Quicktime file and I got this error message: "This file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." Does anyone know why this is? I'm working off of a MacBook Pro with Mojave. The file I exported was DNxHR 4:4:4.

Thank you!
Stephen

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Quicktime Incompatible
on Apr 16, 2020 at 2:19:59 pm

do you have the dnxhr codec installed? (I'm assuming Mac doesn't have it natively.)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2020 at 4:01:42 pm

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/The-future-of-Avid-D...

QuickTime wrapper (MOV) and 32 bit codecs, etc. have been deprecated. DNxHD/R are fine as long as it's in a different wrapper. I moved away from MOV years ago and use MXF OP1a.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stephen Bodossian
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:43:00 pm

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply. What wrapper do you suggest I export this file in? Or what other codec do you recommend for exporting 4k instead of DNxHR? I just need it to be universally playable for someone who can't open an mxf.

Thank you,
Stephen

Return to posts index

Stephen Bodossian
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:38:41 pm

Hey Glenn,

Thank you for the reply. Do I download it from here?: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

I downloaded from this link, then tried opening the file again but it still didn't work. Since I have it downloaded now, do I have to re-export the file?

Thank you,
Stephen

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:52:46 pm

Any DNx codec inside MOV wrapper will not play anymore. If you want something universally playable then you will want to make an H.264/M4V of your OP1a export from Media Composer. MXF OP1a can be opened and transcoded in Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder, and Handbrake, Shutter Encoder, etc.. It can be opened and played in VLC.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:56:30 pm

I export as DNxHD or DNxHR from Media Composer as OP1as it is very fast and you don't need to render or do mixdown beforehand. Select sequence and export as OP1a and in the dialog box you can select which codec data rate.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 17, 2020 at 8:02:39 am

.mov as a wrapper is passing away at Apples insistence.
Many folks have already found alternatives and most software producers have been dropping it for some time.

VLC will happily play an MXF wrapped file so MXF should b fine. I can't believe many folks don't have VLC or can get it for free.

MP4 wrappers still seem to be used for some files like H264 but I'm not sure how long MP4 will exist as its based on QT.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 19, 2020 at 5:19:37 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 19, 2020 at 5:26:44 pm

I'm not sure this is completely correct info. The wrapper (.mov) isn't important. After all, there are plenty of supported codecs that are wrapped as .mov and will continue to be supported. Such as ProRes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000

The real factor is whether or not the codec relies on 32-bit QuickTime libraries to play back the media. That's what's being deprecated. macOS no longer uses QT7 (32-bit) libraries for media playback. There is a new 64-bit frameworks So Quicktime X is merely a media app, not an entire framework.

Going forward, file playback support will require several things to happen.

1. The manufacturer of the codec (like Avid) has to supply libraries within their own apps in order to play the files. That's instead of relying on QT libraries for that file. BMD RAW is an example. - Or -

2. The manufacturer has to create a supplemental 64-bit QT codec pack to play those files. - Or -

3. Apple (in conjunction with the manufacturer) has to update the library components so there are new 64-bit versions within the macOS framework. It's my understanding that's currently underway with DNxHR.

As far as players that work with Mojave, another option that will play DNx media is Telestream's Switch. I believe most of the Adobe and Blackmagic apps will also open and play these files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Bodossian
on Apr 19, 2020 at 8:08:39 pm

Thank you for this clarification Oliver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]