FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you add a still/photo like this with an old style film overlay?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marc kay
How do you add a still/photo like this with an old style film overlay?
on Feb 23, 2020 at 11:53:44 pm

Hello,

Can somebody explain how one goes about creating something like the overlay of a still image seen in this video?

I have a few MOV overlays that have this film style flicker. How do I go about adding a still image, and ensuring the flickering effect is also on the still? Thanks a lot.

You will see the effect from 7 seconds onwards.....

You will see the effect from 7 seconds onwards.....

Return to posts index

marc kay
Re: How do you add a still/photo like this with an old style film overlay?
on Feb 24, 2020 at 12:08:58 am

I meant to say. In this example, the film flicker doesn't seem to be over the photo. How does one go about adding the photo over the overlay, but with the flicker burn effect also transferring/cutting through & embedded on the actual still image? Thanks :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 24, 2020 at 12:41:13 am

OK, the example you show is very simple. It's a film scratch/dust shot on the bottom layer (available from Pond5 or shutterstock...TONS out there for free as well) and then the still or video on the layer above, and the PICTURE IN PICTURE effect on it. Keyed to do a slight zoom in.

NOW...if you want the still to be on the bottom, and the film grain and clutter to be overlaid on THAT...that's the tricky part. There's no built in way to do that. You need to use third party plugins for that. Sapphire and BCC have options for this (Composite or Blend modes), but if you don't have the spare cash for those (they offer LOTS of other things, but I get it, cost is a factor)...then there's a free option.

MDV...free, works great (I'm the one who made that tweet in the article).

https://www.provideocoalition.com/at-last-easy-blend-modes-come-to-avid-med...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

marc kay
on Feb 24, 2020 at 12:43:55 am

Thank-you Shane,

I believe BCC is on the editors machine at work. Can you explain roughly how one would go about achieving the blend effect? Thanks :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 24, 2020 at 4:27:34 am

Put your main image on V1. Put the scratches or grains you want to overlay on V2.

In the category of BCC KEY, look for BCC COMPOSITE, or just search the effects for BCC COMPOSITE. Apply the effect to V2

Go into EFFECT MODE...and in the effect, about 1/3 of the way down, there's a drop down menu that says APPLY MODE: NORMAL. Click on that, and choose either OVERLAY or SCREEN. Or look at the others to see what they do. Sorry, the picture I took below is the wrong menu..it's the drop down option just above it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]