FORUMS: list search recent posts

ReLink Nightmare

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Sheldon
ReLink Nightmare
on Feb 6, 2020 at 4:10:46 am

Hi,
I've been using Avid for a couple of months now, so that's my skill level.

Here's what happened:
1. Started a project and linked all my footage in.
2. Transcoded those linked files and created the "new" files.
3. Edited.
4. Bought a new portable drive and copied all the original footage onto it.
4.5. Edited more
5. Selected the all the original media and clicked 're-link' as per instructions on forums for relinking footage after moving footage to a new drive.
6. Thought it was working great because it created a new sequence and the clips in the new sequence didn't have the 'new' suffix.
7. Realized that the original media (with the little chain-link symbol) had now turned in to the transcoded DNxHD LB files (and now no chain link symbol).
8. Tried to recover the old bin before the original media had linked to the transcoded footage but that bin contains half linked original files, but the other half is the transcoded footage.
I've also tried bringing in the linked original files again because that was a suggestion in a forum, but it actually brings in the transcoded DNxHD files (!) absolutely shocking behavior. I'm so annoyed.

It was hard to articulate exactly what happened so apologies. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AVID 2019.11.0
Macbook Pro Mojave 10.14.6

Return to posts index

Drew Hutchison
Re: ReLink Nightmare
on Feb 6, 2020 at 5:47:25 pm

Hey Luke,

What is your goal with relinking? Are you trying to continue editing with your LB proxies that you originally transcoded or are you wanted to relink to the masters for an export?

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
on Feb 6, 2020 at 6:10:32 pm

Hi Drew,

My goal is to relink to original media so I can export an aaf to Davinci Resolve and also export the original media from Avid rather than the low bit-rate transcoded footage. Basically, I want the original media back in the timeline.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Drew Hutchison
on Feb 6, 2020 at 6:19:58 pm

Alright, I understand.

So the best way to go about relinking your clips will be to have your sequence with all the .new files that you transcoded (the proxies). You would then open a bin and AMA all your masters from your new drive that you moved them to. Select all the AMA Masters in your AMA bin, Select the sequence with the proxies and right click > relink. Under relink options choose to relink from selected media in all bins. This way you don't have to relink through scanning drives.

If you have the "create new sequence" check box ticked you will have a new sequence with all your clips relinked to the masters.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 6, 2020 at 10:46:42 pm

Why not just export an AAF and relink in Resolve to the camera masters? That is how it is done on many many projects.

Michael

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
on Feb 7, 2020 at 3:19:27 am

That's good to know Michael. So would an editor even need to relink back to original footage if they are receiving colored files from the colorist anyway?

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
on Feb 7, 2020 at 3:12:37 am

Thanks Drew,

I'm almost back to normal. And now for some reason Match Frame doesn't work, which is a huge bummer. It's like my timeline footage is still having a hard time linking to the original media. I deleted all the Avid MediaFiles including the database file so maybe it's that.

Anyway, thanks.

Return to posts index

Drew Hutchison
on Feb 7, 2020 at 4:05:46 am

Match Frame will match back to the source of what is in your sequence. If you made you edits from a group it, it will match back to the group. Same thing if you made your edits with a master clip, it will match back to the masters.

If you deleted your MXF files and are matching back to your reference clips they will be offline. If you delete the database but leave the mxfs your computer will index your volumes and should relink offline mxfs.

If you just want your masters I would again AMA link them and relink your sequence to those AMA since it sounds like you deleted your MXF proxie files.

Best of luck!

Drew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]