FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid won't read mxf files from a XDcam FS7 camera.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Berardi
Avid won't read mxf files from a XDcam FS7 camera.
on Jan 15, 2020 at 6:15:45 pm

Media Composer 2018.12.3
OS 10.14.5

I am trying to import footage from the XDcam FS7.
I was delivered a drive with all file structures as is, that come off the card. Within the clips folder there are mxf files. In the past I was able to drag these into a new MXF/1 folder, then let avid build database and then drag the data base file into avid to create the clips.
This time when I try to do that it gives me this error, 'not op-atom'

I AM able to AMA link these clips and then consolidate/transcode. But this is a time consuming process. And I can't work with the AMA because I need to share this project with other editors, who won't have the files in the same place, for ama to work.

what is the problem and is there a solution ?? Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid won't read mxf files from a XDcam FS7 camera.
on Jan 16, 2020 at 1:28:47 am

Well, not sure as to why it worked before and now it doesn't. Is this the SAME EXACT camera that you used to do this with? Or an updated version? Because looking up the latest version, it records XAVC and MPEG-2 formats of XDCAM, and Avid doesn't support either one as "Avid media." Meaning dropping them into the Mediafiles folder doesn't work. Wondering if an older version did happen to record the exact format Avid likes. OR...if this camera no longer records OP Atom MXF, and now uses the Op1A MXF container.

Solution...Source Browser to LINK, and then CONSOLIDATE. That is as fast as copying to the hard drive into the Mediafiles folder. If you can't consolidate...well then transcoding is the only way to go. OR, use Resolve to convert to Avid media...depending on the power of the computer, but might be quicker.

Sorry, lots of editing tasks are "time consuming" processes. But I do hope CONSOLIDATE works....it's as fast as direct copy, because that is what it's doing, just re-wrapping the codec into a new wrapper.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Berardi
on Jan 16, 2020 at 1:57:13 am

Sorry I uploaded the wrong image - this was the error !

Return to posts index

John Berardi
on Jan 16, 2020 at 3:36:17 am

Yes they are XAVC codec. I was not aware this was not compatible with avid. They are mxf files so I assumed they would work. They were the same files last time as well, XAVC codec. I tried to do the same thing with the old files for the heck of it and they did not work either. So I guess its just the version of avid I'm on now and it's not compatible. So thanks for that info.
I am consolidating now, it seems a lot slower than simply copying the media over but could be in my head.

Curious, is it quicker to consolidate the ama files referenced from the same drive you are consolidating to - or is best to consolidate from ama files on a different drive.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 16, 2020 at 8:08:27 am

It should be faster to have one source and a second target drive.
Otherwise all I/O is through the one interface.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 20, 2020 at 3:05:15 pm

As a general note, and it is a common mistake - because a file is MXF does not mean it is automatically compatible with Media Composer. There are several things to consider when working with MXF:

• MXF is a wrapper/container format and can contain codecs of different flavors within it.
  • MXF also has different methods of referencing the assets, OPAtom and OP1a. OPAtom has all essence tracks (V and A) as separate files. This is what you commonly see with Avid MediaFiles native folder structure. OP1a contains all the essence files into (1) single file. Only the more recent versions of Media Composer have started supporting this.
  • The codec needs to be compatible with Media Composer. The rule is if you can transcode/consolidate, it is a native codec.

Here is a somewhat dated Avid whitepaper on MXF - it's a good starting point for Media Composer and MXF.
https://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/mxf.pdf

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2020 at 6:20:35 pm

The thing is, Michael, it USED TO WORK. I recall doing this with P2 MXF files...just being able to drop them in a numbered folder, Avid would generate the database, and I'd drag that into a bin.

But then it stopped working. That's the main question here.

My only guess is that Avid changed a lot of things about MC, including the MXF codec it natively works with. I'm no engineer, so I can only guess at this stuff

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Berardi
on Jan 21, 2020 at 7:40:43 pm

Thanks everyone, this is all good info.
Shane you are right, the reason I was perplexed was because this used to work, now it does not. Most likely an update in Avid. But the files are XAVC codec, and they are compatible, they do consolidate/transcode. So it's not a major issue.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2020 at 12:31:09 am

[Shane Ross] "The thing is, Michael, it USED TO WORK. I recall doing this with P2 MXF files...just being able to drop them in a numbered folder, Avid would generate the database, and I'd drag that into a bin."

Difference between OP1a and OP-atom flavors of MXF. One (OP1a) has interleaved audio, the other (OP-atom) has separated audio. That was P2 (OP-atom), which is how Avid is set up. That's why P2 worked.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]