FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to put project files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christine Douglas
Where to put project files
on Jan 10, 2020 at 3:51:37 am

I'm adding Avid to a new system of mine and I'm wondering how I should set everything up. On my last system I had Media Composer and the projects folder on the system drive, and the AvidMedia Files folder on a separate internal drive. I know the media and projects should be kept separate, but should projects also be kept separate from the application? Since this new computer is a laptop and only has one internal drive I considered using an external drive for media files and keeping the same setup as before, but if project files should have their own place I can partition the drive. Also, can user settings be safely stored with any of these? (I've had corrupted settings but couldn't find the cause so I switched to a flash drive-hoping to avoid with restricted ports on the laptop) Just wondering what the best setup is to avoid issues!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Where to put project files
on Jan 10, 2020 at 7:44:39 am

[Christine Douglas] "should projects also be kept separate from the application?"

Yes, the MC application goes in the APPLICATIONS folder, and the Avid Projects go into the DOCUMENTS folder. If you set up a PRIVATE project, Avid puts it there by default. Makes an "Avid Projects" folder where it keeps all the projects. It's quite normal to keep the projects and application on the main system drive.

[Christine Douglas] "Since this new computer is a laptop and only has one internal drive I considered using an external drive for media files and keeping the same setup as before, but if project files should have their own place I can partition the drive."

No need. Most current MacPros only have one drive...most laptops only have one drive. The current way of keeping projects and applications on that drive is the same as it has been since the dawn of Avid. nothing changed. the only time you'd keep projects on an external is if you are sharing the project with multiple editors, via NEXIS or ISIS.

[Christine Douglas] "Also, can user settings be safely stored with any of these?"

Avid puts those where it wants them, with the Project file. And other user settings go in the SHARED partition area. Don't mess with how Avid does this...leave those be. Move them and Avid won't be able to find them to load.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Where to put project files
on Jan 11, 2020 at 7:56:02 am

Keeping media on a separate drive is valuable as it helps avoid fragmentation on your OS drive.
Storage of User settings and projects on separate drives is just about protection should a drive fail.
A partitioned drive doesn't really offer that much protection in case of failure any way as its the same physical drive.
So user settings can easily be backed up to an external memory stick or the cloud. Good working practice Shoukd have you backing up projects externally as well.
So it's just media you need to keep separate so you can manage it without interfering with your OS drive.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]