FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Firewire deck not seen by Composer 2019

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Wharton
DV Firewire deck not seen by Composer 2019
on Dec 30, 2019 at 3:52:43 pm
Last Edited By Ben Wharton on Dec 30, 2019 at 3:56:52 pm

Hi. I've just upgraded a client's Avid system to the latest media composer 2019 running on an iMac under Mojave. Generally everything seems good. But I am attempting to digitize some archived material from PAL DV from a deck and the capture tool will just not see the deck.

I've tried adjusting the deck configurations under settings using Firewire over OHCI port and then various Sony templates and Generic PAL templates, but to no avail. Console shows that the deck has failed to initialize.

The deck is connected from firewire through a firewire 800 -> thunderbolt 2 converter to the iMac.

The connection is fine as I can capture material via the OS's built-in QuickTime recording app. In desperation I thought of this route and then linking / ingesting the material from the files created. However, the QT capture not does keep the material interlaced nor does it seem to be quite the right frame size.

Have also tried this with a Panasonic DV camera and same issues.

DV ingest worked fine on Composer 2017 under El Capitan...

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Wharton
Re: DV Firewire deck not seen by Composer 2019
on Jan 8, 2020 at 10:03:54 pm

Hi again.

Does anyone have an explanation for the lack of communication?

In the meantime I've captured material with Premiere Pro and then ingested that into Avid, but it won't work for a certain issue which is capturing material from tapes with breaking timecode (due to faulty camera mechaism). I would like to ignore the timecode as per Avid's capture tool functionality.

Alternatively is there another system which could capture the tapes? FCP creates new clips all the time which is not ideal - even joinig them all and then re-outputting to a single file I missing a lot of stuff.

Please, any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]