FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid GH5 Color workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Federico Palumbo
Avid GH5 Color workflow
on Dec 4, 2019 at 1:09:26 am

Hi please help me to understand color workflow with gh5 and avid: i filmes Cine Like D, when i import to avid i need to apply a color transformation?
When i import i say to avid this is "709 full range video colors" but i don't apply a "709 video level".

Why is named "709 full range video colors" and not "full range video colors"? this name make some confusion but i did different test and the "709 full range video colors" seems to be full rgb

If I apply a 709 color transformation I have colors compressed expecially blacks are going to be less darker... but if i don't plan to go in TV, do i need such transformation? With new tv standards, do i need 709 colors?
thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid GH5 Color workflow
on Dec 4, 2019 at 4:34:07 pm

Are you shooting in VLOG? If so you can start with the GH5 VLOG to 709 LUT:
https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/ind...

SD and HD TV standards still use Rec709. New color spaces include 2020 and different profiles if delivering for HDR.

If your ONLY deliverable is something like YouTube or Vimeo, you can certainly work full range. That can be done on export if needed once you create a 709 master or just work full range and manage it yourself. But color correction is done on a properly calibrated monitor for your main deliverable.

Michael

Return to posts index

Federico Palumbo
on Dec 4, 2019 at 5:21:23 pm

Thanks
i filmed Cine Like D that is not VLOG.

Thanks
Federico

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips