FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Problems converting 23.98 program to 29.97

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Problems converting 23.98 program to 29.97
on Jul 30, 2019 at 6:16:04 pm

[Guy Mellitz] "My current workflow is to mixdown the 23.98 sequence, open that bin in a 1080i/59.94 project and lay it into a new sequence, then export it at 1080p/29.97."

What? NO nononononononono. That's not what you do at all. That's what you do when you want to PROPERLY add pulldown to get 23.98 to 29.97 interlaced. But 29.97p? That's almost the worst way to do it.

There is really NO good way to get 24p to 30p. No matter what, you'll get repeat frames. You can try Fluid Motion, or even After Effects, but if there's fast movement, then you get the jelly effect either on the moving object, or in an "aura" surrounding the object.

Even higher end converters might jelly on motion, but some do a decent conversion (Talking about the Alchemist here).

So, if you shot and edited 23.98, and are asked to deliver a 30p master (if they wanted 30p, then it really needs to be shot 30p)...they either need to live with the slight stutter look of 6 additional frames, or you need to take the master to a post facility with Alchemist, have them run a test conversion and see if the client is cool with that.

24p to 30p isn't a smooth conversion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]