FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a cabled network in Avid MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos E. Martinez
Using a cabled network in Avid MC
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:09:10 am

I would like to know if there is a way that will allow me to stream files, saved in HDD i another computer which would be a server, and play them from my laptop, where Avid MC is installed and placed on another room.

Please let me know if my question is clear.

I have always used Avid from my desktop, but now I would like to play several files saved on several 3.5" HDDs, on a larger monitor placed on another room. To do that I was thinking of using my laptop, where Avid is also installed.

Before you suggest it, using HHD to USB adapters is not an option, because my experience with them in the past has been terrible, as the HDDs I used like that did not live long after being used with adapters. I could never find out why, though I have always thought the blame was on the power supplies. But it is a fact I had to suffer from.

Is there a way some version of Media Composer would allow me to do this remote streaming and how should I proceed?

Thanks!

Carlos

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using a cabled network in Avid MC
on Jul 19, 2019 at 6:55:30 pm

You would have to set up the machine with the HDDs as a SERVER...allowing it to share the drives. I wish I was a server expert, but i'm not, so I can only say that's what you need to do, not how you can do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 20, 2019 at 8:26:49 am

I've done this but as Shane says you need a full blown server to access the drives and mount them so they appear as local drives.
But why use MC to just play files.?
Plenty of NAS units that can stream media and smart TVs that can access and play them.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Carlos E. Martinez
on Jul 20, 2019 at 9:15:24 am
Last Edited By Carlos E. Martinez on Jul 20, 2019 at 10:34:35 am

There are two problems to play the files directly, through a NAS or directly on the TV.

1) The files were already captured with Avid, so the files can only play through it.

2) My experience with 3.5" HDD SATA to USB adapters, which would allow me to play the files directly, has been the worst possible in the past. With the HDDs crashing shortly thereafter. To me it was related to some damage inflicted by the adapters, likely byt the power supplies they use. Will never risk that again, particularly with the HDDs where the project media is.

3) I will be assembling a non-RAID server, using Linux, to handle all my media. So what I could do is use that desktop and, using another SSD, to mount a system on it. The hardware would be the same, only the SSD would be replaced, and I have one I can use for that. booting as Linux. What do you think?

4) How would that go on once I have my full blown server, as mentioned?

OK, I think I had a brilliant idea.

Why not mount my present desktop with Linux and the server program, just using another SSD to boot from?

That would be very easy to do.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Aug 10, 2019 at 3:45:56 am

Honestly I'm still not sure what you're trying to do, but what I did in my home studio is... run a BNC cable.

I sometimes do reviews, with or without clients, in a separate room with a big screen & projector. In my case I went for a used Decklink card, and an SDI>HDMI adapter on the other end. You can also use wireless HDMI gear in the chain, if you need to.

For control, I remote (VNC) into my editing system with my laptop. Simple and easy, with perfect video quality and no latency.

I have years of experience setting up storage servers for Avid and other NLEs in post houses... and going this route for this application would be a complete waste.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]