FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timewarps on Subclips when transferring to DaVinci Resolve via AAF

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Hanses
Timewarps on Subclips when transferring to DaVinci Resolve via AAF
on Jul 12, 2019 at 9:39:53 am

Hi everyone, first time post for me.

I stumbled upon an issue concerning data exchange between Avid MC and DaVinci Resolve for conforming.

Sometimes when footage was shot with 50FPS for example, editors want to have it synched with sound (if there is any).
So what happens is, that an assistant Editor applies a timwarp (200%) on the Video Master Clip, syncs it with the audio file and generates a subclip. This method works well up to a point where you want to transfer an edit to DaVinci Resolve to online the whole thing. (for the editing process the footage was converted from ProRes4444 to DNxHD36)

An AAF File doesn't seem to transport the information that there is a timewarp applied to the footage and it has to done by hand. It's not a problem when there are only a couple of them but if you have a sequence with minutes of those it takes hours to do it.

So my question is:
Is there a way to make this easier? I am thinking of something like the option "commit multicam edits" when dealing with group clips. Some option to promote the embedded timewarps to usual timewarps or motion FX.
Is there another Effect that I could use in MC instead of timewarp to prevent that problem?

I hope you will understand what I am talking about as I am not a native english speaker (German)

Philip

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Timewarps on Subclips when transferring to DaVinci Resolve via AAF
on Jul 13, 2019 at 12:04:07 pm

Just for complete info, the file is 50fps but the project timeline is at what rate?

Michael

Return to posts index

Philip Hanses
on Jul 13, 2019 at 3:32:31 pm

Hi Michael,

Both the MC and the Resolve Projects/Timelines are 25FPS.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 13, 2019 at 3:34:47 pm

Then I would try setting the playback to project rate in source settings before syncing and see if that helps in the AAF interchange.

Michael

Return to posts index

Philip Hanses
on Jul 16, 2019 at 11:42:07 am

Hi Michael,

I don't think that this fixes my problem. Or even if I explained my problem very good in the first place. Maybe if I explain the workflow of the footage more detailed you will get what I am aiming for.

We're working on fictional TV shows that are all broadcasted in 25FPS.
The material arrives in house as ALEXA 2k 25FPS Log C where a LUT is applied in Da Vinci Resolve and rendered in 25FPS MXF DNxHD36 for editing. There it is synched with the sound files and then transferred to an editor.
Later it is conformed in Da Vinci Resolve in preparation for Color Grading. Everything takes place in 25FPS projects.

One exception is when they shoot 50, 75 or 100FPS material fo slow motion takes.
But sometimes editors want to have that material synched as well so we apply a Timewarp on the ALEXA Master Clip in Avid, Sync it and make a subclip. This subclip doesn't have a Timewarp effect Icon on it when you cut it into your timeline. It just runs on 25FPS and the sublip still refers to the original Avid Media File. No render file was written or any other motion FX files was generated.
When you export an AAF File of the timeline to conform it in Resolve, the information that this clip contains a timewarp isn't transported into Resolve. The clip will show the original slow motion and I have to conform it manually.

Does that make sense to you?

So what I am trying to figure out is if there is a way to kind of bring that "embedded" Timewarp up front in my Avid timeline, to make the clip show an effect Icon and be able to auomatically conform it like it works with all other "normal" Timewarps.

Philip

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 20, 2019 at 1:02:32 pm

I've started looking into replicating this but hope to have more time to do so. I've done a small test syncing a 25fps unadjusted video to audio via timeline autosync, and even a simple EDL does not indicate there is a time-based mismatch. More as I go along.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 20, 2019 at 1:55:38 pm

I think you're out of luck. In doing the simplest of tests:

1. 23.976 fps project
2. AMA link to 59.94p material (59.94fps)
3. audio recorded to be in sync with 23.976 material
4. Create a sequence to create sync, subclip the sequence to a subclip
5. Edit that into a new sequence (clips is named 60fps in the screenshot)
6. Edit a section of the 59.95fps clip with no speed change via effect or source setting applied. Timeline now has two events with the same source footage, once as an AutoSync source clip, the other as its original.
7. General EDL. Notice that the first event (60fps clip) has no motion indicator on it while the second even does.

The AutoSync process removes any reference to a speed change as I believe the video takes on the properties of the audio in this scenario. There is no "flatten" or other .sync subclip undo process to bring that back. You're only solution is to edit with a sequence as a source.

Michael

Return to posts index

Philip Hanses
on Jul 23, 2019 at 6:14:33 pm

Thank you Michael for taking the time to run those tests. It's very much appreciated!
Sadly the result is as I expected and for now I'll have to confirm those clips manually.
I've had two projects lately that had minutes long sequences only working with those. And it took hours to get them all right.
I might have to ask the editors to work with timewarped sequences to avoid this.

I will be visiting another post-production company in a few days and I will ask them how they deal with that. If they have a smart way to solve this I will post it here.

Thank you again!

Philip

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Aug 10, 2019 at 3:37:32 am

Hi Philip, ever found any updates or solutions?

Return to posts index

Philip Hanses
on Aug 10, 2019 at 5:12:02 am

Hi Drew,

The last update would be that I didn't find a solution but a workaround.

After talking with my colleagues from another company I realized it can't be done in the way I imagine it.

What I do now is I generate an EDL of the clips that have the embedded timewarp issue. The source timecodes are displayed in the EDL and like that I at least have the correct TC In of the clip and only have to adjust the frame rate instead of searching for the right frame and then adjust the frame rate.

I hope that will help others that have a problem like that and hopefully Avid will at some point offer a solution. Something like "promote embedded temporal adapters"

Return to posts index

p.v Ram Prasaanth
on Aug 11, 2019 at 6:12:50 am

I am also facing the same issue.
All my rushes are shoot at 48 fps, So I added 200% percent effect over all the clips and auto sequence it with sound files and then sub clip. when it comes to AAF and EDL none of the speed changes are reflected. I think rematching is the only solution now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]